Aussie Lockers

Sasquatchewan

TJ Enthusiast
image.jpeg
Ok I've been building up my LJ to be a good daily driver but dissent trail rig. I have a factory LSD in the rear 44 , so I would like to install a Aussie front Locker but not sure if I should go with a lunch box or a air locker. Also are these a direct bolt in or do you have to re-shim & adjust your differential? Also might upgrade the axles . I love how my wife's Rubicon wheels when the axles are locked I don't power through stuff , only when absolutely needed ,usually slow in low. Oh it's a Dana 30 with 33's & I'm not going 35" on this one . What do y'all recommend? Thanks

Nice looking LJ. I have the same color combo on "new" LJ. I had the Spartan lunchbox locker on previous LJ and it worked very well on the rocks in Moab. Didn't really care for the popping or unlocking in tight corners (in 2wd) but small price to pay for solid lock on the rocks. I wanted to run one just to know from personal experience how well they worked, but this LJ will have Eaton Elockers when I finish it.

That was my thoughts ,in 2wd it's like an open diff because it's not pulling right ? Would it be ok to just buy a heavier duty axle U-joint or just upgrade the whole axle and all ?

I didn't change axles and had no problems but I had just done all u joints including axles pretty recently before installing locker. For your application, I wouldn't change anything as long as you KNOW (not assume) your axle joints and driveline joints for that matter are good. It's about a 3 or 4 hour job and a 12 pack.

Reactions: Sasquatchewan
That was my thoughts ,in 2wd it's like an open diff because it's not pulling right ? Would it be ok to just buy a heavier duty axle U-joint or just upgrade the whole axle and all ?
Yes in 2wd you won't notice anything but a bit of clicking through a turn. The factory Spicer 5-297 u-joint in your axle now is fine for 33's, Spicer' 5-760x would be a nice direct-fit upgrade u-joint when you need it. It's stronger and more durable without breaking the bank.

Thanks guys that is good info this Jeep has been regularly serviced I have records, an older man had it I have 115,000 mi as of this morning U-joints look original, but no play or evidence of failure but when i do this I would probably just replace them

Sasquatchewan- did you end up ordering and installing the Aussie ? I am about to pull that trigger on my '06 LJ's front Dana 30. Rear 44 is limited slip so will pass on that for now.

Last edited:
I hear you loud and clear Sasquactch- After doing Imogene Pass last year (it had eroded badly in one spot) I found a locker was going to help me a bit more than disconnects and travel so for my situation (and cost) I am doing lockers this year and holding off on suspension stuff and regear until I am ready for 33" wheels the following year. I suppose I should check first if the Aussie will work with a 4:56 or 4:88 ratio- I am only 3.73 right now. Is'nt that more of a concern with Detroit lockers?

Yeah Phil Lockers are the way to go , my wife's Jeep has front & rear lockers & it's a billy goat so I have a real dilemma, since both of my tie-rod ends, the boots were soft & ballooned out rubbing the front discs tarring a hole in the boots, all the are good & tight but if I don't replace the boots soon I'm thinking they could get loose, I hate how light duty the rods are also .