Auto Trans Fuse

Kevin E

TJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
I thought it is interesting that on a manual tranny like mine you can put a 20 amp fuse in the auto trans slot (lower left) behind glove box and you don't need to push the clutch in to start your Jeep.You still need to be in neutral. It does work. Any benefit on the trail? It is in the owners manual.

Yes, that option was added by Jeep engineering so the engine can be started in gear without stepping on the clutch when you're offroad. Some tricky maybe even dangerous offroad situations are better handled when you can start it in gear without having to step on the clutch too. That also makes it easier when working on it, you can just reach in and start it so long as you're in Neutral with the brake on.

ALL cars used to operate like that, all the ones I grew up driving were all like that. Our grandmothers learned to drive without clutch interlocks. The lawyers made the manufacturers add safety interlocks when everyone started to look for easy money by suing deep-pocket manufacturers for lapses in judgement or bouts of stupidity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Yes, that option was added by Jeep engineering so the engine can be started in gear without stepping on the clutch when you're offroad. Some tricky maybe even dangerous offroad situations are better handled when you can start it in gear without having to step on the clutch too. That also makes it easier when working on it, you can just reach in and start it so long as you're in Neutral with the brake on.

ALL cars used to operate like that, all the ones I grew up driving like that. Our grandmothers learned to drive without clutch interlocks. The lawyers made the manufacturers add safety interlocks when everyone started to look for easy money by suing deep-pocket manufacturers for lapses in judgement or bouts of stupidity.
Good to know I suppose thanks.