Auxillary Switch Wiring Issue

LJRubi

I've encountered a head-scratcher trying to wire some aux switches for my lockers and air compressor. I have some 5-pin rocker switches which allow the bottom half ("Front locker") to be illuminated when wired to another switched circuit. I tapped into Fuse slot #1 which I've discovered is the fuse for my instrument cluster backlights. After tapping into this slot, however, my rocker switch is ALWAYS illuminated, rather than switching to on when the multifunction stalk is turned and the dash lights illuminate. What am I missing here?

20200216_131609.jpg

20200216_131815.jpg

20200216_133053.jpg

Just a thought, is there always power across fuse #1 and it is switched at the multifunction stalk after the fuse to turn on the cluster lights? Just to be certain, you have 7 and 8 to ground, 2 to constant power, 3 to your lockers/pump and 6 is connected to fuse #1 in the glove box fuse panel?

Just a thought, is there always power across fuse #1 and it is switched at the multifunction stalk after the fuse to turn on the cluster lights? Just to be certain, you have 7 and 8 to ground, 2 to constant power, 3 to your lockers/pump and 6 is connected to fuse #1 in the glove box fuse panel?

I would have assumed the switch on the stalk would control the entire circuit but this sounds like a possibility now that I think about it.

And yes to all the connections above. I actually just have 7 and 6 plugged in right now while I figure out this issue, but did try plugging in everything as well to no avail.

The simple answer is I just need to find another switched fuse - could there be any others that might work? I also gave Fuse slot 10 for the Instrument Cluster a shot, but it's simply switched to the ignition. I believe this circuit is what powers the gauges, but does not illuminate their backlight.

Did your switch come with a schematic for the switch? The labels by themselves without an accompanying schematic showing what's inside that switch are next to useless.

hi guys, re-hashing this thread as I've encountered a similar, but separate issue. I'm trying to get my factory front locker wired into this aftermarket rocker switch. The factory switch is an 8-way, and these are 5-way. I figure one reason the factory is 8-way is because it controls both front and rear. I only need this switch to operate the front as I have an ARB with independent compressor for the rear.

Referencing the thread here, I've tried several different combinations of wire connections. For simplicity sake, I am ignoring the right bank of terminals above (#6 and #7) because they are not necessary for switch operation - they merely illuminate the lower light on the aftermarket rocker.

Obviously, factory wire #1 goes to terminal #8 for ground. I am also almost certain factory wire #3 (fused 12V) goes to terminal #2. As for the wiring to terminal #3, the actual accessory, I am at a loss. I have tried connecting factory wires #4 and #7 independently to terminal #3, and also 4&7 together to no avail.

Do I need more than a 5-way switch for this? Perhaps two of these switches daisy-chained would work? Or am I just completely off my rocker?

locker.jpg

20200216_133053.jpg

Looks like you need to provide it a ground to activate the lockers and not +12V. So jumper ground from #8 to #2 on your switch and connect #3 to pin 7 on the factory plug.

Thanks for the thought and reply, Tangerined. Unfortunately it wasn't that simple. You are correct that I did not need constant +12v. I am frankly unsure why this wire even exists - does it allow engaging/disengaging the lockers with no key in ignition? I don't understand its purpose.

After much trial and error, I finally have it, and boy was it nothing at all like I had originally expected.

For anyone interested, here is the solution:

Factory wire #1 (Ground) to terminal #8
Factory wire #7 (Front Locker Request) to terminal #2
Factory wire #4 (Locker Enable Signal 1) to terminal #3

I had originally connected both wires #4 & #5 together to terminal #3. This correctly actuated the locker, however, the top LED in my switch would not illuminate when the key was in the ignition. Removing wire #5 altogether then caused the top LED to illuminate while still actuating the pump.

Under this configuration, the front locker is only engageable in 4LO.