Is this a bad paint job?

wolf1790

I can't tell if my jeep has been repainted at some point, but there are strange spots where the paint simply isnt up to par. The cowl has the worst fading/damage and is rough to the touch. That's less surprising.

However, there are spots on the sides which look like there isnt any clear coat. Anyone seen this before? Any easy fixes?

Considering repainting the cowl myself and paint matching best I can, but I'm not sure what these other markings are.

20190509_121256.jpg

20190509_121328.jpg

Just looks to me like the sun wreaked havoc in the paint. FL although sunny and beautiful can destroy paint if not garaged. AZ is bad too
Yeah that's definitely my thinking on the cowl, I never found that surprising. I just wasnt sure about the whitish side marks. It's definitely due for a paint job, but it's so far down on my list of priorities.

Yep . That's basecoat /clearcoat and the clearcoat is coming off , Red is known for that , and the older single stage red enamels oxidized bad .

If it's been reshot you'll find overspray, paint lines , and orange peel likely.

You can gently sand it and touch it up with rattle can , and it will look good from 5 feet or so away , but won't blend perfectly.

I'm not even sure what is going on there, it looks horrible though (sorry).

I'm not sure what those white marks are. I don't think it's been repainted, I think it's just the paint has been left out in the sun forever, and someone likely left something on it in those spotted areas that caused the paint to discolor. What I'm not sure, but this definitely isn't unheard of. Try leaving a car cover on with water soaked into it in the baking sun for days, I believe it will do something similar.

I'm not even sure what is going on there, it looks horrible though (sorry).

I'm not sure what those white marks are. I don't think it's been repainted, I think it's just the paint has been left out in the sun forever, and someone likely left something on it in those spotted areas that caused the paint to discolor. What I'm not sure, but this definitely isn't unheard of. Try leaving a car cover on with water soaked into it in the baking sun for days, I believe it will do something similar.

Haha no need to apologize, it does look horrible. I'm trying to figure out a way to basically make it just look "ok".

Alternatively, considering its current appearance, it may not be a bad excuse to attempt a paint job at home. Not like there's much to ruin.

Reactions: Chris and dudehitt
Haha no need to apologize, it does look horrible. I'm trying to figure out a way to basically make it just look "ok".

Alternatively, considering its current appearance, it may not be a bad excuse to attempt a paint job at home. Not like there's much to ruin.

You could always do a vinyl wrap. They've gotten so good with them these days that you literally can't tell it's not paint.

I've seen some really, really nice ones too where they did complete color changes.

You could always do a vinyl wrap. They've gotten so good with them these days that you literally can't tell it's not paint.

I've seen some really, really nice ones too where they did complete color changes.

I've started looking into it actually, but I'm trying to find a reputable place. A color change would be ideal, reds jeeps aren't quite my color. It seems like most wrap places don't really advertise to the average Joe and more target businesses.

Reactions: Chris
If I wanted a cheap out. I'd use diy bedliner on the cowl in black , and then use bedliner on the sides and top coat with color , maybe leave a black accent in it .

We have a JK in town that's red and black line x , it is super sharp .

Try leaving a car cover on with water soaked into it in the baking sun for days, I believe it will do something similar.

Similar to what happened to my daughter's maroon chevy cobalt when she or someone put a clear plastic bag on the hood with their collage mascot picture for her track meet. The hood was wet from the dew and it stayed in place for a couple days. I couldn't buff it out or anything. Somehow a year and a half later it seems 90% has disappeared.

Similar to what happened to my daughter's maroon chevy cobalt when she or someone put a clear plastic bag on the hood with their collage mascot picture for her track meet. The hood was wet from the dew and it stayed in place for a couple days. I couldn't buff it out or anything. Somehow a year and a half later it seems 90% has disappeared.

Yep, I've seen similar happen before, except it didn't disappear. I'm not sure how it happens or why, but all I know is that U.V. rays are powerful!

My patriot blue hood did exactly what your cowl is doing. Once the clear is gone it's just a matter of time before the base paint is shot from UV and starts to crack down to the primer/metal. At that point it's much more difficult to repaint. I'd get it taken care of soon or learn to live with it. It may seem silly to polish a turd but keep it waxed or use something to protect the base paint, it'll save you headaches in the future if you are going to repaint.

Hey chris you've got more of an idea than me. I've gotten a few quotes to have it wrapped in matte Gobi, and it seems to come in around 2000-2500. Sound about right?

My patriot blue hood did exactly what your cowl is doing. Once the clear is gone it's just a matter of time before the base paint is shot from UV and starts to crack down to the primer/metal. At that point it's much more difficult to repaint. I'd get it taken care of soon or learn to live with it. It may seem silly to polish a turd but keep it waxed or use something to protect the base paint, it'll save you headaches in the future if you are going to repaint.
Yeah I was thinking of taking the cowl off and sanding it down and giving it a spray to keep it from getting worse

There is a check list of things to get right before spraying plus a check list of things to check while spraying. Looks like none of that was done. Orange peel, paint drying to fast, maybe too hot out. Paing sure did not cover, maybe just moving too fast or just a single coat. WIPE down before spraying, clearly shit under the paint on the rear quarter.

Reading comprehension 101 was not this guys strong suit. Best 3 years of his life might have been Grade 8.

Maybe it was painted outside on a sunny day but it started to rain before he was done.