Ball joint install question

jazngab

Done but not quite finished
Supporting Member
Finished installing ball joints. Reinstalling the knuckles and I have a small gap between the knuckle and upper ball joint on both sides. I pressed both uppers and lowers until the shoulders were seated against the C arm firmly. I BFHed the knuckle from underneath to get it high as possible but it’s already against the lower ball joint. Will tightening down the bolts to torque specs close the gap? Is it ok for there to be a gap there? Just want to make sure all is good before putting everything back together only to have to take it all apart again. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
1B9CA475-1049-4A8E-B528-82921C3ABC2B.jpeg

Finished installing ball joints. Reinstalling the knuckles and I have a small gap between the knuckle and upper ball joint on both sides. I pressed both uppers and lowers until the shoulders were seated against the C arm firmly. I BFHed the knuckle from underneath to get it high as possible but it’s already against the lower ball joint. Will tightening down the bolts to torque specs close the gap? Is it ok for there to be a gap there? Just want to make sure all is good before putting everything back together only to have to take it all apart again. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!View attachment 73275
You can NOT determine finished knuckle height based on a gap that changes by whether or not you move the dust boot up and down. That gap has exactly zero relevance.

You can NOT determine finished knuckle height based on a gap that changes by whether or not you move the dust boot up and down. That gap has exactly zero relevance.

Thank you for your input! I didn’t really think about it that hard. It is just the grease boot it would be sitting against and not a support of some sort.

Thank you for your input! I didn’t really think about it that hard. It is just the grease boot it would be sitting against and not a support of some sort.
I've inspected a couple thousand TJ knuckles. Had you looked at yours, you would have seen wear marks inside the lower shelf where the dust boot grinds dirt around.