Bank 1 lean code after cleaning throttle body and IAC

Airparis33

Sorry for the double posting, I realized I added this in the wrong forum too late.

Thank God for Jeep forums, I'm at a loss.
I'm in no way a mechanic, but can handle minor jobs.. my 99 4.0 was idling rough intermittently, and I cleaned the throttle body/ IAC sensor/ and replaced the TPS sensor. After that I got the Bank 1 Lean code for the first time.
Mine is older (had for a couple years now), and I dont know what has or hasn't been done- so I figured some sensor changes couldn't hurt, even if not the exact issue. New O2 sensors(NTK), Map sensor, and checked for a vacuum leak and I still get the code popping up. Will run and idle great for a while and then the issue happens again.
Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Keep an eye on here..I don't know the answer , but we have some members that likely will.

Good knowledge here.

Andy

Reactions: twistedlv
Sorry for the double posting, I realized I added this in the wrong forum too late.

Thank God for Jeep forums, I'm at a loss.
I'm in no way a mechanic, but can handle minor jobs.. my 99 4.0 was idling rough intermittently, and I cleaned the throttle body/ IAC sensor/ and replaced the TPS sensor. After that I got the Bank 1 Lean code for the first time.
Mine is older (had for a couple years now), and I dont know what has or hasn't been done- so I figured some sensor changes couldn't hurt, even if not the exact issue. New O2 sensors(NTK), Map sensor, and checked for a vacuum leak and I still get the code popping up. Will run and idle great for a while and then the issue happens again.
Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!
Check for a crack in your exhaust manifold, especially around the front 3 cylinders "bank 1".

If its cracked it can cause this issue.

Download your FSM Here. It will have troubleshooting advice.
But I also agree with the two previous posts.

Edit: I just reread your post. Did you remove the throttle body to clean it? If so, did you use a new gasket and torque properly on reinstall? When I did mine the gasket looked fine, so I reused it. Only much head scratching and a smoke test revealed that is was not.
4 bucks at o'rielly's and I was back in business.

Last edited:
Use an OBDII scanner to reset the code and see if it comes back. If it doesn't come back, it was just a fluke.

Happens to me from time-to-time, that's why I always start by clearing the code first, just to see what happens.

Reactions: RobertJ
Thanks for the replies yall, it keeps coming back sadly.. gonna try and check the manifold tomorrow. Woke up this morning to it having been broken into alongside our other 2 vehicles. Wild start at 4am lol. Also thanks for the manual link! Now I may can fix my washer fluid too 🤘

Disconnect the battery's negative connector for 3-4 minutes to reset the computer, then securely reconnect it. That will put it into a re-learn mode for those changes you made. See how it runs a day or two after doing that.

Reactions: RobertJ