Banks turbo for the 4.0?

We'll agree to disagree. Techs don't make those kind of decisions.

Underestimate? Dude, I live in California. :LOL:

You should know better than to dismiss their impact then. I lived in CA for ten years fwiw, and I thought it was bad before the new emissions standards were enforced.

You don't have to be on the Board to know what's going on in your company lol, and I don't understand the logic in dismissing evidence from an authority higher than our own considering you weren't in the building (yet you feel your opinion is superior which I find fascinating).

Side note: supposedly Gale had the turbo built because he had an LJ and wanted more power —> which I thought was pretty hilarious and actually believable. lol

• Haha
Reactions: L J
You don't have to be on the Board to know what's going on in your company lol,
you do have to be more than a low level employee to know why high level decisions are made lol
and I don't understand the logic in dismissing evidence
I understand the logic in dismissing annecdotes.
from an authority higher than our own
Appeal to authority? lol
considering you weren't in the building (yet you feel your opinion is superior which I find fascinating)
I find it fascinating that you have a superiority complex (think you're the smartest guy in the room) and at the same time an inferiority complex (asserting that I feel my opinion is superior when there is no basis in reality for such an assertion).

At the end of it all. Nothing you or I believe makes a bit of difference so let us stop the back and forth as it's not adding anything.

you do have to be more than a low level employee to know why high level decisions are made lol

You assume the employee I spoke to is so "low-level" that it would be impossible/or extremely unlikely that management would dare communicate to them with valuable information. And that's the root of where we disagree.

I understand the logic in dismissing annecdotes.

I've provided the facts from my experience in talking to a tech who's been around since before/after the turbo was pulled from shelves. You are free to think it's anecdotal.

Appeal to authority? lol

Yes, someone who knows more information than us two idiots spatting in a forum.

I find it fascinating that you have a superiority complex (think you're the smartest guy in the room) and at the same time an inferiority complex (asserting that I feel my opinion is superior when there is no basis in reality for such an assertion).

Deciding that a tech can't have valuable information because he's not in upper management is a lazy assumption. Maybe look into a bit before you judge the worker I spoke to is unworthy of having credible information.

Keep in mind that I was speaking to your provided reasoning and arguments. You going into this superiority/inferiority complex bit is taking your assumptions up a notch and it's wholly unnecessary.

At the end of it all. Nothing you or I believe makes a bit of difference so let us stop the back and forth as it's not adding anything.

100%

Prior to purchasing my kit from Banks several years ago I had several conversations with their staff (sales, tech and engineering) concerning support due to concerns of long term availability as I was originally informed by sales staff that the kit was likely going away due to supply issues.

The intercooler (custom built) and turbo in particular were not procured in volume which in turn caused supplier issues. (They weren’t buying enough to satisfy supplier mins) When I finally decided to purchase the kit I had to wait for the intercooler to be made, quite possibly the last batch produced.

I was able to drag out of them who the OEM for the turbo was under threat of not placing my order, which turned out to be Mitsubishi. Now that may very well be the same unit used in the S70, I don’t know.

According to the engineer I spoke with the C.A.R.B compliance issues were PCM related.

The story of Gale developing the turbo for his jeep so he could go to his cabin in the mountains is true, I heard him tell the story.

Reactions: srimes and MikeE024
Prior to purchasing my kit from Banks several years ago I had several conversations with their staff (sales, tech and engineering) concerning support due to concerns of long term availability as I was originally informed by sales staff that the kit was likely going away due to supply issues.

The intercooler (custom built) and turbo in particular were not procured in volume which in turn caused supplier issues. (They weren’t buying enough to satisfy supplier mins) When I finally decided to purchase the kit I had to wait for the intercooler to be made, quite possibly the last batch produced.

I was able to drag out of them who the OEM for the turbo was under threat of not placing my order, which turned out to be Mitsubishi. Now that may very well be the same unit used in the S70, I don’t know.

According to the engineer I spoke with the C.A.R.B compliance issues were PCM related.

The story of Gale developing the turbo for his jeep so he could go to his cabin in the mountains is true, I heard him tell the story.

Good stuff! I appreciate you sharing your experience. I didn't have much leverage but I got what info I could.

Yes sir, Mitsubishi made the turbo for the S70 I mentioned, and I believe this is it (imagine the housings re-clocked). This is by far the closest thing I've seen to the turbo on the Banks kit.

Gale is awesome lol.

edit: words

Last edited:
Reactions: Painfultruth
Good stuff! I appreciate you sharing your experience. I didn't have much leverage but I got what info I could.

Yes sir, Mitsubishi made the turbo for the S70 I mentioned, and I believe this is it (imagine the housings re-clocked). This is by far the closest thing I've seen to the turbo on the Banks kit.

Gale is awesome lol.

edit: words

CC63539A-F42F-41C5-930E-C11AFF9C9AE4.jpeg

The S70

FE4E910A-45B4-4BC5-AC35-7F74CAC2A402.jpeg

2A8E29A3-DB8A-441F-AE4B-DBF13FCA3D29.jpeg

F18B905E-FF1A-424F-9D78-29D8523F48D9.jpeg

Banks

Worth looking into….

Reactions: MikeE024

Yes indeed. I compared that same FCP Euro photo to the Banks turbo before saving the info. I believe the compressor side is oriented/clocked and the WG actuator is moved to the other quadrant (closer to the BOV plate).

Edit: I found it easiest to picture the charge-pipe port upwards like it is on our kits, then the rest makes more sense. In that configuration, the actuator arm is on the other side of that port and that's where Banks mounted the WG actuator on their turbo.

Here's another angle of the Banks that I thought was helpful for comparing to the S70's Mitsubishi turbo.

side 1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Painfultruth