Bedside Gun Safe

AndrewLJR

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
With a 1-year-old in the house and given the nature of society, I need a bedside gun safe as Ive been keeping my pistol out of my main safe during the day/night. Its a Glock 19 but Ill be purchasing a Springfield hellcat for bedside/carry. Ive been looking into biometric safes, but they're a bit pricey.

What is everyone using? Any suggestions or recommendations?

Edit- Yes, I keep it locked away right now, except when its nighttime and the baby is in her room

I have several gun vaults. They work for keeping guns out of sight. Could break in with a flat screwdriver if desired.

I have a monster vault coming this week so I can speak more on that at a later date.

I do like the idea of having my shotgun and AR15 more readily available. This might be a good route to go, definitely keep me posted.

Im thinking more of a bedside, nightstand single pistol capacity safe.

I do like the idea of having my shotgun and AR15 more readily available. This might be a good route to go, definitely keep me posted.

Im thinking more of a bedside, nightstand single pistol capacity safe.
This works well, they have the smaller version also. Need room for backup mags, lights, backup pistol....

GunVault GV2000C-STD Multi Vault Standard Gun Safe https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001XZZA6A/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: Apparition
Gunvaults are good stuff. I have a couple of the single-decker models, big enough for a couple of pistols & mags. Be sure to change the 9v battery on a regular schedule, you’d hate to have to scramble for your key if you really needed to get in there & the battery was dead. I set a calendar alarm in my phone for 6 mo intervals.

Reactions: JMT and AndrewLJR
Last edited:
I have the drop down speed vault that is hidden in my night stand. I have trim panel that opens up and the safe is right there. I went with the number pad because I don't find cheap biometrics to be reliable. This model has a light inside when you open it and comes with a backup key. It is a bit noisy when it drops though
GunVault SV500

I have a gun vault. But honestly, and it’s a bit more work, a couple of hooks on the wall and when you are home, hang the rifle there. Put it back in the safe when you leave. Nothing is faster, it’s in the air away from baby, and cheap. Again, more work but I also think it’s good to handle your weapon, inspect and replace batteries if you run a optic on a regular basis. (Aimpoints need not apply for battery life).

But still keep a few pistols in the gun vault. Practice getting into it under stress. You will be shocked how slow it is. 😉

no batteries, no electronics, push button mechanical lock, easy to open in the dark, bolts to the floor, idiot proof:

https://www.ftknox.com/product/original-pistol-box-wfront-sight-training-certificate-included/
Fort Knox.jpg

Trained kids from early. Never had an issue. To assure yourself when child is really young, mount on wall where kid can’t reach.
I've drilled it into my kids heads since they were very little (hell they still are). To them my guns are just like any other dangerous tool I have that can hurt or kill you, and I have plenty. They're both very familiar with them and have been shooting plenty, I think that takes away the mystique of it all.

Reactions: JMT and mrjp
If your only concern is keeping it from the 1 year old you can hide it above a closet door with a magnet mounted to the wall. On the inside. How many people go into a closet, turn around and look up? Not many Id guess. I bought a biometric safe, programed one of my fingers, all nine other fingers also opened it. I returned it.

• Wow
Reactions: mrjp and Apparition
Fully plan to teach my daughter and future children the proper respect towards a gun, but no way to do that at 14 months. Hahaha she’s finally figuring out certain basic tasks. I’ve settled on a gun vault and have ordered the one I feel my wife will also be able to work with. If I’m traveling I need her to know how to operate the safe. She’s a great shot, so the pistol side of things I’m good with

Reactions: Rick Flair and mrjp
Like others, I have trained my kids. They weren’t the ones I’m worried about. Having three boys, I have kids in and out of my home ALL the time. Most of them I know their parents very well and trust the kids. But they aren’t my kids so they are the ones I worry about. 😉

Sounds like a good plan you have, remember to practice with opening it under stress. Have your SO set your alarm to something you don’t know and at a random time. It’s about the easiest way to stress test it.

you can go further but this is a good way to start. If you want more, just ask!

Reactions: mrjp and AndrewLJR
I've drilled it into my kids heads since they were very little (hell they still are). To them my guns are just like any other dangerous tool I have that can hurt or kill you, and I have plenty. They're both very familiar with them and have been shooting plenty, I think that takes away the mystique of it all.
Absolutely. When mine were young I had them watch a video called Eddie the Eagle. Eddie drills it into them. If you see a gun, STOP, LEAVE THE AREA, TELL AN ADULT. Afterward, I would occasionally leave an unloaded, magazine and ammo free pistol somewhere in the house where they would easily see it. Every time, within minutes, one of them would come tell me. Then I would take them for ice cream. Worked like a charm. Now of course, they shoot