Bestop soft top question

Dvaniwaarden11

Supporting Member
I bought a used best top soft top from a member on here. I love it and happy with it, however, where it’s supposed to slide into the slots above the tailgate to secure the back of the soft top, my metal brackets are either bent or not the right size.

What part is this and where would I be able to find the proper replacement to fit the tailgate bar? I’m not even sure the name for the metal bracket so that would probably help me out.
Thanks

IMG_6178.jpeg

IMG_6176.jpeg

IMG_6177.jpeg

The tailgate bar attached to the soft top flap does not slide into the ends of the metal brackets; it rotates into the brackets.
Align the tailgate bar ends with the metal brackets; rotate the bar counter clockwise about 30* and push the bar inward while rotating the bar clockwise.
The tailgate bar will fit snugly into both metal brackets otherwise the bar could easily slip out of the brackets if the wind is pushing against the soft top flap.

I bought a used best top soft top from a member on here. I love it and happy with it, however, where it’s supposed to slide into the slots above the tailgate to secure the back of the soft top, my metal brackets are either bent or not the right size.
The (Bestop) top I bought 6 years ago did not fit into the original brackets. I had to use the ones supplied with the top.
So there are at least 2 different sizes out there.

Search tailgate retainer bar clip.

What @CharlesHS said.

It's a snug fit and a real challenge to pus straight in. I get it lined up left to right and rotate it down towards myself while pushing it in.

I could be wrong but it looks like the inboard end of your passenger side bracket is squeezed closed.. That would make it impossible to install the tailgate bar.

Reactions: Dvaniwaarden11
What @CharlesHS said.

It's a snug fit and a real challenge to pus straight in. I get it lined up left to right and rotate it down towards myself while pushing it in.

I could be wrong but it looks like the inboard end of your passenger side bracket is squeezed closed.. That would make it impossible to install the tailgate bar.

I agree with MikekiM…
The passenger side bracket inboard end is squeezed slightly for about 1.5-2” which needs to be opened up the same amount as the area on the outboard side.
That should allow to more easily insert the bar.

IMG_6176.jpeg

Last edited:
I have Bestop clips that came with the TrekTop NX. Look the same to me.

Mine were a little bent in the same spot as the OP. I likely dinged them moving camping gear in and out of the rear bed. Took two seconds to straighten it.

IMG_8656.jpeg

Reactions: WestCoastDan