Bikini top install

svsteen15

I am looking for a spice top that fits this style of attachment. I have no idea what it is called, I am newish to the mechanical side of this. Supposably this bolt in channel was only avaliable on the 98 basic modle for a really short time. I have one top that fits it. But it was so old that the straps beyond rotted away. The two I purchased trying to replace it have the flat plastic piece that hooks rather than slides. Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

20240616_184531.jpg

That is not stock. Or really even what I would consider aftermarket.

It is a version of what is called Keder rail or Keder track. Used alot when making awnings with canvas on boats.
1718585372891.png

The Keder Cord is sewed to one end of the Canvas and slides into that rail.
That was probably a custom made canvas cover the previous owner made.

Take that track off and buy a whole new setup. There is no aftermarket setup I have ever seen that uses that.

You will need a new header as the latest Bestop bikini top will not work with that header as indicated above. I just purchased a new safari length bikini top to replace the one I’ve had for 20 years hoping that the header would still work but expecting that it may have changed. My old top from Bestop used the Keder cord mentioned above. (I never knew what that was but it worked great and allows the top to be folded for storage.) The new/current top uses a plastic strip shaped like a ‘T’ that slides into a channel with a thinner opening. The older Keder style header opening is too wide and the plastic will pop right out. The upside is the rigid plastic is a little easier to install but overall fit and quality is definitely not what it used to be.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
OMG I stand a little corrected.
I think this top uses that channel:
https://www.extremeterrain.com/bestop-safaristyle-strapless-bikini-top-spice-9702-tj.html

If you look at the second picture the underside you can see the keder cord.
And it says it requires "w/ Bestop Windshield Channel 51210-01". When you do an image search of that it looks exactly like the rail in your Jeep.

Thank you so much!!! I will definitely look into it, I was dreading the thought of getting a whole new set up.