Brake Power Booster Swap Issue

jmartin99

So, I changed the brake power booster in my daughters 1998 Wrangler TJ today with a remanufactured one I got from RockAuto. Once I put the new booster in, the brake pedal does not touch the brake light switch. I was scratching my head...I then removed the new booster and measured the distance from the face of the booster to the tip of the rod and they measured the exact same. I then put the old booster back in and the pedal STILL did not hit the brake light switch!! I have now clue what the deal is...HELP!!! I am at a loss right now!

You should be able to grab the brake light switch plunger with your hand, or gently with a pair of pliers. Pull the plunger outwards. this should allow the brake light switch to extend far enough to once again make contact with the brake pedal.

No, that is it. Just pull the plunger out and release the brake pedal slowly. It will move back and click the plunger in to be at the correct depth to work the brake lights.
By plunger, do you mean the part sticking out of the brake light switch or the rod that sticks out of the booster that attaches to the brake pedal?
I tried to pull out the part of the brake light switch that the pedal hits and it would not extend out any further.

By plunger, do you mean the part sticking out of the brake light switch or the rod that sticks out of the booster that attaches to the brake pedal?
I tried to pull out the part of the brake light switch that the pedal hits and it would not extend out any further.
How far did you extend the plunger in the brake switch?

It only sticks out about 1/4" or so when the brake pedal is not touching it.
I just tried to pull it straight out. Do I need to turn it?
No, just grab right behind the flat part that the pedal touches with a pair of needle nose and pull it straight out towards the brake pedal. It will extend about an inch or so and then self reset when the pedal comes back against it.

Reactions: ColoJeep