Brief Up hill power problem

Hopper

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
1999 4.0 32r automatic. When I start it up it sometimes doesn't want to go forward for a minute. Other times it does fine, I b as ck out the drive put it in drive to head out up a pretty steep street and it won't move. The transmtion will then kick in and go. Sometimes I just move the lever to park and back to drive and it's fine. After that it's great all day long. ????????

From your symptoms there's a 99.9% chance there's nothing more wrong than your transmission's ATF level is low. Here's the only correct way to check it... start the engine and leave it running. Pull the parking brake on then shift into NEUTRAL. With the engine running and the transmission in Neutral check transmission's ATF level with the dipstick that comes out from the transmission on the passenger side from under the firewall. Those requirements are unique to your 32RH transmission.

If the ATF level is low as I would bet it is, bring it to full by adding only ATF+4 ATF to it. If the bottle does not say "ATF+4" in big letters on the label it's the wrong stuff. Add the ATF+4 via a small funnel inserted into the dipstick tube. Bring it all the way up to the full mark, you can safely add enough to bring it over the full mark if you have a little left over in the bottle. It's far better for an automatic transmission to be slightly overfilled than be underfilled. I routinely overfill mine, as do many who wheel steep terrain, by a quart. That prevents the transmission from sucking air via its ATF pickup when the terrain is not level.

OP - had a similar problem. Not a super steep hill that I was on but definitely like a 30 degree grade when I'd back out of driveway and go, or start from being parked facing up on the street... I second Jerry's suggestion to top off the ATF_4. I even overfilled by just a little and I really haven't had that issue since.

Thanks guys. I did check it and low and behold its low. Could have sworn I just checked it a month ago but I have other work vehicles and probably just got mixed up.
Filled it up last night we will see how it goes today.
Thanks again and appreciate the responses.