Bumper with D-Rings and Hitch—Mounting Bolts?

Kevin Q

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I installed a custom fabricated rear bumper. It came with 6 bolt holes on each side and the underside mount. I mounted to the two OEM bolt holes on each side along with the LOD frame tie in with 2 bolts to the frame. I also used the underside bolts. My intention was to drill 2 additional holes on each side but discovered I cannot get inside the rear member to bolt them in. This bumper will only be on the Jeep until around February. It also won't be used to tow. It's primary function will be a cargo carrier rack to bring beach chairs and a cooler. My biggest worry is that I need to use the D rings and rip it off the Jeep. What do you guys think?

IMG_E2687[1].JPG

IMG_E2687[1].JPG

Look under your frame at the point where the bolts would be inserted for the reinforcement bracket. There should be a factory opening slot underneath you can fish/insert the nuts and washers up through to thread onto the bolts. I've done that with several Jeeps.

The bolts through the frame brace are the most important bolts. As long as those are in and secure, you should be okay. In reality, you run more risk of tearing the crossmember off the frame than tearing the bumper off the crossmember when the bumper is fully attached.

You could also drill the crossmember and use rivet nuts (sometimes known as nutserts) to thread the bolts in.

Sorry I zoned out and was thinking of a different bracket. The way to do that easily is to insert nutserts aka rivet nuts into the frame holes, set them, and then thread the bracket mounting bolts into the nutserts.

Capture.JPG