Buy TJ w/Death Wobble?

Hismildness

Reformed Peckerwood
Supporting Member
Hey guys,

When I called to ask about a local Wrangler Unlimited for sale the owner informed me that it had the death wobble and suggested I might want to tow it home. It's listed at $10.7k and with only 100k miles and stock it is attractive. When I look at the truck in the next few days I will have it checked out by an alignment shop before purchasing.

My question is to you fellows that have solved this problem on your own TJs — is it reasonable to think a shop could resolve this for under a couple of grand or should I run for the hills?

Thanks!

DW is curable. It's usually nothing more than a combination of a bad tire balance plus, maybe, something loose like the track bar. It shouldn't cost much to fix, though some clueless or dishonest 4x4 shops might try to take advantage of the situation and overcharge for what could be a relatively easy fix.

Reactions: Hismildness
Depends on the shop. If they say you need to replace the steering damper then leave and never go back. They don’t know anything about these Jeeps.

99% of the time it relates to tire balance or older tires that are out of round. Get that fixed first at a reliable shop and insist the tire guy get it perfect, not just good enough.

Then look to thefront tie rod at the axle and see if you have any play there. Then move to tie rod ends. Then ball joints, hubs, control arm bushings. You’ll find it, but it’s not the steering damper.

Thanks Jerry.

BTW I forgot to mention that the owner believes it needs ball joints and tie rod(s).
My DW issue was cured with unit bearings and ball joints, after one shop swore it was a track bar. I replaced it and It wasn’t that. The local tire shop said all my steering components were fine “It’s just the nature of big tires” I had been running the same setup for 16 years without DW. I changed ball joints and unit bearings and had ordered the Currie Currectlync
To cover all bases But it was cured with those changes. I installed the Currectlync as well.

My DW was corrected by replacing the crappy wide tires on 18" wheels with huge offsets with a set of the original Rubicon wheels and some skinny but slightly taller 235/85 Duratracs