Can I mount this A/C canister horizontal?

Kevlarr

TJ Enthusiast
Can I mount this horizontal?

B698484E-18B1-4311-B07E-D2C8FE41C54B.jpeg

It does seem good to know but now I have to ask,
Since the AC works while going up, down and around hills, what if that accumulator was horizontal with the outlet tube inside high? The oil and liquid refrigerant could still drop to the bottom from the inlet tube and the vapor refrigerant could still float to the top.

4F4A9BEC-4D54-449A-A83F-BB8E0AF16564.png

EDIT:

Of course, as soon as I hit "post reply" I realized that another accumulator probably needs to be cut open so we would know which "horizontal" would look like my rotated picture if it even would work.

Reactions: Kevlarr
Since the AC works while going up, down and around hills, what if that accumulator was horizontal with the outlet tube inside high? The oil and liquid refrigerant could still drop to the bottom from the inlet tube and the vapor refrigerant could still float to the top.

View attachment 137478

EDIT:

Of course, as soon as I hit "post reply" I realized that another accumulator probably needs to be cut open so we would know which "horizontal" would look like my rotated picture if it even would work.
Except you would starve the compressor of oil at that point. Your compressor won’t be happy

View attachment 137478

EDIT:

You would be starving the compressor of oil It won’t be happy

Reactions: JEEPCJTJ and Daryl

View attachment 137478

EDIT:

See that little orifice at the bottom of the u-tube. That lets small amounts of oil that has accumulated at the bottom to be drawn out the suction tube to lubricate the a/c compressor.

Reactions: JEEPCJTJ
The basic function is to accumulate refrigeration oil in the bottom and act as a trap, when the level rises at the outlet tube the velocity of the refrigerant increases and carries the oil to the compressor and back thru the system.

Laying it on its side will defeat the oil return and most likely cook the compressor.

Reactions: JEEPCJTJ
Thanks guys.

I didn't realize that the black circle is an opening where the oil actually gets in. I just thought it was regulating whatever oil got into that tube from the top. If only I would have noticed the lack of little grey dots before that point.