Can I pair a 6-speed engine with a 5-speed?

I've got a 2000 Sahara, so 4.0, 5 speed. I'm swapping the engine cause she's dying on me. Local guy has a 4.0 from a 2005 6 speed. Can I swap just the engine or will I have to do the transmission as well?

The flywheel is different (though they will bolt on) and the crankshaft position sensor is in a different location. If you match the flywheel and transmission with the PCM, it should work. So if you keep your 5 speed transmission, keep your current PCM and flywheel.

The flywheel is different (though they will bolt on) and the crankshaft position sensor is in a different location. If you match the flywheel and transmission with the PCM, it should work. So if you keep your 5 speed transmission, keep your current PCM and flywheel.
I'm keeping the current transmission if possible. So all I need to do is put my 2000 PCM on the 2005 engine, use the same flywheel, and move the CPS?

The crankshaft position sensor should remain in the stock 2000 location, yes. It's in the transmission bellhousing.

I think that is all, but there may be a few other differences I'm not aware of. Hopefully someone else can comment on that. I know the camshaft synchronizer is different between years, but I'm not so sure that will be an issue.

The crankshaft position sensor should remain in the stock 2000 location, yes. It's in the transmission bellhousing.

I think that is all, but there may be a few other differences I'm not aware of. Hopefully someone else can comment on that. I know the camshaft synchronizer is different between years, but I'm not so sure that will be an issue.
Thanks for your help. Yeah it was the camshaft synchronizer before 05 I believe, then it got changed to the OPDA - I think.

So far I've heard flywheel, PCM, CPS, exhaust, OPDA, and oil pressure sender from the donor to the 2005, amongst the other accesories.

With that being said, I asked on Justanswer to get more info. A Jeep mechanic responded with this, "Looking at interchange. the 2000 jeep wrangler only used the same engine from 2000 to 2004. the 2005 is going to have different features to it and is not a straight bolt in. These changes can be sensors, tone rings. etc. My interchange does not give me exactly what is different between the motors."

So if anyone has any input on that I'd appreciate it. Especially if you can ease my fears of spending $1000 on an engine and parts that might not work lol.

Cheers.

Turns out I misunderstood. He has a 6 speed and was trying to put it in.

So now it's a 4.0 from a 5 speed, either a 2004 or 05. Does that change anything?
It would help if you more clear. All TJ 4.0's will accept all TJ transmissions regardless of year in that they will all bolt up in place of each other.

There is no 05 5 speed manual behind the 4.0, they are all 6 speeds. The 6 speed uses a different CPS in a different location.

What exactly are YOU trying to swap with what?

Jeep used three timing methods, Distributor, Camshaft Synchronizer (the FSM refers to it as the Oil Pump Drive) and the Oil Pump Drive Assembly. 97-99, 00-04, 05-06 respectively. The hole in the block and the drive gear for all 3 methods is the same. You can run an 05 engine in a 99 if you swap over all the sensors to the 99 and it runs the distributor just fine.

It would help if you more clear. All TJ 4.0's will accept all TJ transmissions regardless of year in that they will all bolt up in place of each other.

There is no 05 5 speed manual behind the 4.0, they are all 6 speeds. The 6 speed uses a different CPS in a different location.

What exactly are YOU trying to swap with what?
Thanks for the info. I'm putting in the 2004 engine and removing my 2000 engine.

To confirm, the engine was from a 5 speed. The OPDA is not visible on the passenger side so I believe it's an 04. Haven't found the manufacture info yet but I'll keep looking.

So I'm moving all accessories from my 00 engine to the 04. With that being said, are there any purchases I'm missing from this list? Anything else I should do while the engine is out? The engine has 100k on it, should I get the head decked? Valves lapped or replaced?

Engine gasket set (valve cover, head, manifold, throttle body, water pump, thermostat, timing chain, oil pan, rear main, front seal)
Head Bolts
Timing Set
Water Pump
T Stat
Clutch Kit
Flywheel
Flywheel Bolts
Pressure Plate Bolts

Everything else will be from my 2000 engine.

2004 or 2005? 2004 engines are also 5-speed, and would probably make things easier.

Any 91-04 flywheel should be fine in those engines. It's 05-06 that has a different number of crankshaft position tics and a different sensor location.