Can I swap a YJ front axle on my TJ?

Nova

My TJ’s front axle doesn’t have a ring and pinion, so can I swap a 95 YJ front axle on my TJ?

It would be 1000% easier and cheaper to swap a Dana 30 from a TJ or a HPD30 from an XJ. The YJs are leaf spring and will need all new bracketry. Both the TJ and XJ axles are bolt in and are readily available.
Okay thanks, so it won’t matter that it’s a high pinion?
It would be 1000% easier and cheaper to swap a Dana 30 from a TJ or a HPD30 from an XJ. The YJs are leaf spring and will need all new bracketry. Both the TJ and XJ axles are bolt in and are readily available.
okay, thanks for the advice!

High pinion is actually better for the driveline. Keeps your driveshafts above the axle tubes. Which means more clearance in the rocks. That and the fact it’s a stronger ring and pinion setup being high pinion.

Last edited:
Could he just swap in the ring and pinion from the YJ axle into his TJ axle already in the Jeep? That could be the easy solution.

Wow! Never knew the YJ was a high pinion. You would think after all these years of working on 'em I would have delt with at least 1 front axle.

Wow! Never knew the YJ was a high pinion. You would think after all these years of working on 'em I would have delt with at least 1 front axle.
Yup. Their only real downfall is the axle disconnect. And honestly, it’s not really an issue. A longer one peice shaft allows for a bit more flex and torsional strength. But an XJ or TJ 1 peice shaft can be slid in seamlessly. Just have to block off the axle disconnect with a simple plate.

None of the 5 I owned were high pinion, it must be a Canadian thing or maybe one of those fancy Australian rigs...