Can't find chassis ground

gatertamer

Mud dauber
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Is it unusual when using a test light (yes it works) to not be able to get it to light up while grounding it to several different spots inside the chassis including the frame and known factory grounds...it only lights up when you hook it to the battery neg....I did a voltage drop test at several areas all read a consistent 12.4V

Keep in mind that the chassis is painted so you won't be able to pick up a ground connection unless you remove the paint to expose the bare metal underneath.

thanks...I've probably tried a dozen different spots ..known factory grounds..the frame...bumpers..alternator..all the usual spots that have worked before....still no light

thanks...I've probably tried a dozen different spots ..known factory grounds..the frame...bumpers..alternator..all the usual spots that have worked before....still no light
Unless what you're connecting that ground clip to is showing shiny bare metal it's not going to give you a ground. The chassis itself is the primary source of ground connections for various circuits so it's definitely the best possible ground connection point providing it is bare metal at the particular location.

but agree or not....... if that ground lead is touching the frame or bumper or stainless plate wrapped around nerf bar it should light up?

but agree or not....... if that ground lead is touching the frame or bumper or stainless plate wrapped around nerf bar it should light up?
I can't explain it any better than I tried twice above. You simply have to make sure you're connecting your ground connection bare metal at the right location. If you don't understand that paint has to be scraped away to obtain a good ground, and also know that what you're connecting to has to have its own bare metal connection itself, do so and see the results and then you will understand.

thanks jerry...im no professional but I have been a pretty good backyard mechanic for about 30 years now....I do know you need a clean paint free ground...what im trying to say is these are all spots I have used many times before to test electrical...for some reason I cant get a light anywhere except the battery. the stainless around the nerf bars used to work everytime as well as the frame.

20181124_165006_HDR.jpg

20181124_165050_HDR.jpg

20181124_165423_HDR.jpg

thanks for your input jerry.....but I found one of those factory thin,wide, woven ground wires had come loose under the steering column....now test light works like normal again.....problem solved

I know this is an old thread, but do you mean to say that your entire frame had become un-bonded from your tub due to a ground strap under the steering column? I would have thought that there were more connection points between the frame, tub, and battery than just something like that?