CB RF interference with engine off

thekidwithquestions

Acquiring Jeep funds...
Supporting Member
this is with everything off, the CB is wired straight to the battery, red to + terminal and black to - terminal

If I leave everything normal, except take the antenna out, I have no noise, just a soft fuzz. Does that mean my antenna is bad?

have you tuned the antenna? It's kind of a pain in the ass as you can only get it close to good on an SWR meter. Where is the antenna mounted? That makes a differenc as well. What antenna do you have?

have you tuned the antenna? It's kind of a pain in the ass as you can only get it close to good on an SWR meter. Where is the antenna mounted? That makes a differenc as well. What antenna do you have?
I have tuned the antenna as best I can (about 1.3 on channel 20) its mounted on the drivers tail light, its grounded perfectly. its a Firestick 2' with a Uniden pro 510xl

If you get noise with the antenna on and none with it off it means the antenna is picking up noise. A bad antenna doesn't make noise, it isn't powered or anything. You simply have an RF source nearby that you are hearing. Arcing power lines, who knows? Forget about it or drive to the mall and see if it's still there.

Reactions: thekidwithquestions
That noise sounds digital to me. If you have a smartphone - or even a dumbphone - remove it from the area and re-check. Probably won't make any difference - the CB shouldn't pick that up that loudly.

Reactions: thekidwithquestions
have tuned the antenna as best I can (about 1.3 on channel 20) its mounted on the drivers tail light, its grounded perfectly. its a Firestick 2' with a Uniden pro 510xl
Thats the same set up as mine but i have the 3' antenna to clear the top by a few inches, it will only be so good, but not the best. Everyone is going to hand held dual band UHF anf VHF (HAM) radios, you can pick one up for less then a hundie.