CEL P0501 After Hand Throttle?

Bowhunter

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hello all, installed my hand throttle yesterday and was testing it out today and my Jeep threw PO501, speed sensor CEL. Any ideas if the hand throttle caused it or if it’s unrelated? Because my Jeep has cruise control, I had to leave it off the throttle adjustment finger on the intake because the hand throttle cable goes in the same place as the cruise control. I have the cruise control end zip tied for now until I figure out away to get both the hand throttle wire and cruise control wire hooked to the throttle adjustment finger on the intake

when I was testing the hand throttle out yesterday, not driving just adjusting the hand throttle in my driveway, it seemed to work fine and not throw any CEL

Because it’s the speed sensor, I’m assuming it is safe to off-road this weekend? Plan was to trailer the Jeep it a few hours away for some camping and off-roading

PO501 is for the VSS on the transfer case. I'd say they are totally unrelated but the VSS shares a common ground and regulated supply voltage with some sensors on the intake manifold. Be sure you didn't damage any wires when you were doing the install. I'd check the grounds too. It should be fine but you may get more codes and some strange speedometer readings.

Reactions: Bowhunter
Thanks for the info. The light came on when I was in 4 Low using the hand throttle to back the Jeep off the trailer. I’m disconnecting the battery now and will see if the CEL comes back when I load the Jeep

PO501 is for the VSS on the transfer case. I'd say they are totally unrelated but the VSS shares a common ground and regulated supply voltage with some sensors on the intake manifold. Be sure you didn't damage any wires when you were doing the install. I'd check the grounds too. It should be fine but you may get more codes and some strange speedometer readings.

after hooking the battery back up I took it for a 1 miles drive around the neighborhood and got it to operating temp. No CEL *knock on wood* it was just a random CEL. Speedo seemed to be normal. I’ll test the hand throttle out this weekend and see if that’s the issues. More to come..

Last edited:
Reactions: Daryl and pagrey
To follow up, no CEL came on this weekend after doing 55 miles (engine likely ran for 6 or so hour during those 55 miles) of dirt roads and mild rock crawling.

finger crossed it was just a fluke

On a side note, the hand throttle and 4 Low worked amazing for climbing small rocky inclines, almost felt like I had an auto trans