Cheap prices?

Kyle_W

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I want to see what other online shoppers think of the "uber-cheap online retailers"? I only ask because this is the only tool box that is small enough to fit in the back of a TJ and still allow the seats to recline back, and I need it since now my top is off and don't want all of my expensive Jeep gear stolen:

http://www.grabcart.com/product/lin...l804NJ9cGa_B1HLXd6wa3yKEO9-PzRztz7BoCVi7w_wcB

However, it retails more for $150 to the $200 range from places like Walmart and Summit Racing.

Its hard to imaging a website like this being able to market a product for almost 50% cheaper than what it's competitors are asking for, and do it through legal means / still be able to make a profit on it. Am I just not in the know about online retailers like this? Or, do items like this pop up often for that price because retailers are just trying to off load / get rid of a non-popular product?

I'm just wary about buying something for such a cheap price. Kind of like how "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is".

This is like Harbor Freight. Not everything they sell there is crap. I regularly go to Harbor Freight and find great deals on great tools.

However, if I was a professional mechanic as my job, I wouldn't invest in anything but the best (i.e. Mack Tools, Snap-On, etc.). But, since I am not a mechanic by trade, and I only use my tools on occasion, why do I need to shell out serious money for Snap-On tools?

Same principal applies here. If this is something that will be exposed to the elements and used on an almost daily basis, then maybe I wouldn't cheap out. But if it's just something you want to use on occasion, I see nothing wrong with going cheap.

Reactions: Kyle_W
This is like Harbor Freight. Not everything they sell there is crap. I regularly go to Harbor Freight and find great deals on great tools.

However, if I was a professional mechanic as my job, I wouldn't invest in anything but the best (i.e. Mack Tools, Snap-On, etc.). But, since I am not a mechanic by trade, and I only use my tools on occasion, why do I need to shell out serious money for Snap-On tools?

Same principal applies here. If this is something that will be exposed to the elements and used on an almost daily basis, then maybe I wouldn't cheap out. But if it's just something you want to use on occasion, I see nothing wrong with going cheap.

Well I very much agree with you on your view of Harbor Freight items! The simple items, I buy from HF. The items that matter though, I buy SK Tools or Klein, etc.

However, my question pertains to buying a good quality tool box (this Owen's tool box is USA made, and on the more expensive website's they go for around $200). Because, I need a tool box for my Jeep, but for some reason this Owens box is only $110 on the website that I linked. That just seems weird? Would you feel comfortable paying nearly half of what other retailers sell this thing for?

I mean, I may just be overthinking it, in which case a $110 USA made tool box is a steal. But...on the other hand, it seems to good to be true. I have this issue with plenty of products I buy - on eBay they'll be 1/3 cheaper than what big box retailers charge. I am hesitant to take advantage of the savings - it's almost like stealing?

Would I feel comfortable paying that price?

Yes... But ONLY if it was from Amazon. Why? Because I've dealt with Amazon so many damn times when it comes to returns and customer service, that I know how easy they are to work with.

It it shows up and you simply don't like the way it looks, go online to your Amazon account, print the return label, and in almost all cases you'll get your money back in your account before they even get it back!

Amazon makes returns literally effortless.

A third party like that? I don't know... probably not nearly as easy. Sure, you could return it, but you'd probably wait 7-14 days for your money back, maybe even pay a restocking fee, etc. I can't say that for sure, but I can guarantee that they can't be anywhere as good as Amazon when it comes to returns. Which again is why I continue to give Amazon my business. They understand that in this day and age you can buy products anywhere. The thing a business has to have these days is customer service (that's what they're selling), and it should be DAMN good if they want to succeed.

Reactions: Roger Descoteaux
Would I feel comfortable paying that price?

Yes... But ONLY if it was from Amazon. Why? Because I've dealt with Amazon so many damn times when it comes to returns and customer service, that I know how easy they are to work with.

It it shows up and you simply don't like the way it looks, go online to your Amazon account, print the return label, and in almost all cases you'll get your money back in your account before they even get it back!

Amazon makes returns literally effortless.

A third party like that? I don't know... probably not nearly as easy. Sure, you could return it, but you'd probably wait 7-14 days for your money back, maybe even pay a restocking fee, etc. I can't say that for sure, but I can guarantee that they can't be anywhere as good as Amazon when it comes to returns. Which again is why I continue to give Amazon my business. They understand that in this day and age you can buy products anywhere. The thing a business has to have these days is customer service (that's what they're selling), and it should be DAMN good if they want to succeed.

That's the thing...Amazon doesn't sell it. Haha I use Amazon or eBay for absolutely everything for the exact reasons you listed! - Walmart is next on my list for getting good prices. Even though, Walmart is a syndicate if you ask me.

I just don't know if ya'll other online shoppers would pay that cheap of a price and feel comfortable with it? It doesn't seem like it's possible, unless performed in an illicit manner, for a company to sell the tool box for that price?

I'd feel comfortable buying it, just not returning it!

So yeah, if you want it and you know you want it, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. You're always covered with Visa chargeback.

Reactions: Kyle_W
I'd feel comfortable buying it, just not returning it!

So yeah, if you want it and you know you want it, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. You're always covered with Visa chargeback.

Man the price is alarmingly low, you really wouldn't be worried? D:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk