Check gauges

CptnMurica

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Used the winch first time today. Warn evo8s. With motor running got everything hooked up and proceeded to winch. Worked great except, a little in and just a few seconds dash light “check gauges” came on. Wonder why? Trip went well everything worked great before, during and after.

Last edited:
The voltage might have dropped more than the Jeep thought was okay. If your battery isn't in great shape and you were pulling a decent load the alternator isn't going to cut it.
Brand new battery. Put in a new alternator 2wks ago.
Jeep was running.

You could have some damage or corrosion that is causing allot of voltage drop on the alternator cable and that's confusing the computer when the current draw is very high. I assume your winch is direct to the battery. I have a hand throttle to set high idle and generally need to do that just spooling the rope. At idle the voltage will start to drop on mine after a few minutes of light load. Maybe next time just have somebody in the Jeep to watch the gauges before you get too far into it.

You could have some damage or corrosion that is causing allot of voltage drop on the alternator cable and that's confusing the computer when the current draw is very high. I assume your winch is direct to the battery. I have a hand throttle to set high idle and generally need to do that just spooling the rope. At idle the voltage will start to drop on mine after a few minutes of light load. Maybe next time just have somebody in the Jeep to watch the gauges before you get too far into it.
Ty!

Reactions: pagrey
Yep as above, check that all the heavy battery and winch cable connections. And make sure you attached the winch's negative lead directly to the battery (!!!) and not to the chassis.

If the voltmeter is dropping way down when the winch is placing a load on the battery, that's definitely either a weak/bad battery or a bad connection. And one more suggestion to make sure the winch's negative lead is connected on the battery post, not to the chassis!!

Reactions: CptnMurica
Yep as above, check that all the heavy battery and winch cable connections. And make sure you attached the winch's negative lead directly to the battery (!!!) and not to the chassis.

If the voltmeter is dropping way down when the winch is placing a load on the battery, that's definitely either a weak/bad battery or a bad connection. And one more suggestion to make sure the winch's negative lead is connected on the battery post, not to the chassis!!
Jerry! Thats it I’m sure. I’ll run through all that. This whole area needs attention. Once I get it all cleaned up should be fine and anchored right. One of the main battery anchors is stripped. It’s bouncing in there.

C4220D4F-14D8-4EA5-BA6A-51E49F08FD62.jpeg

Reactions: Jerry Bransford