Chromoly axle shafts: Carbon Off-road vs regular chromoly kits

MattTJRubicon82

Supporting Member
In the market to upgrade to chromoly shaft on front Rubicon 44. Front axle seal leaking so figure while fixing that throwing in new shafts makes sense.

Carbon off-road seem nice plug and play, warranty, etc.

They worth the extra coin versus the other 4340 stuff?

If you don’t have the tools to assemble it could be worth it. I have friends that run them and are happy. I did the Ten Factory sets and broke a couple. Good customer service and quick replacements.

Reactions: MattTJRubicon82
Be sure to take a look at the 4340 Discovery shafts from Revolution Gear too. They are imported and only have a ten year warranty vs. the lifetime warranty on their Los Angeles forged 4340 shafts but even Revolution Gear says the Discovery shafts are made the same exact way and just as good. They justify the cost difference only by their ten year vs. lifetime warranty. I wouldn't expect the ten year to break any sooner than their lifetime shaft.

Reactions: MattTJRubicon82
Be sure to take a look at the 4340 Discovery shafts from Revolution Gear too. They are imported and only have a ten year warranty vs. the lifetime warranty on their Los Angeles forged 4340 shafts but even Revolution Gear says the Discovery shafts are made the same exact way and just as good. They justify the cost difference only by their ten year vs. lifetime warranty. I wouldn't expect the ten year to break any sooner than their lifetime shaft.
Unless your trying to find traction while turning into a rock wall on fordyce or again turning too much while finding traction on soup bowl on the rubicon🤦‍♂️

(I.E. drivers error.)

It's not the first time I've blown a ujoint up this season and bent the ears so I'm hoping revolution will give me a credit towards the USA shaft.

- that said the discovery shafts were working great for me up until this year and have survived all the difficult trails I've put them through in Moab and a few rubicon trips.

Also revolution was very good about replacing the drivers side when the joint exploded and bent the ears at the beginning of summer.
20231028_171135.jpg

20231030_082815.jpg

I see Carbon Offroad has a Black Friday promo running already (brings price of axles down to similar level to Revolution). Does Revolution typically run a Black Friday promotion?

Reactions: JMT and L J
All of the imported chromoly axle shafts are pretty much the same except for the boxes they come in. They all come from the same foundries.

Use the company that provides the best customer service and warranty.

I tried to purchase rear Dana 44 axle shafts from Revolution Gear and Axle. They were able to ship the 5.38:1 gear sets I needed, but gave me the runaround for weeks on availability of axle shafts in a misguided attempt to keep me on the hook and dissuade me from purchasing elsewhere. That bullshit cost them a customer for life no matter how good they claim their products or their warranty may be. Fool me once, shame on them. Fool me twice, shame on me.

I purchased my rear chromoly axle shafts from Carbon Offroad. The boxes were at my doorstep in two days, assembled with bearings and wheel studs and ready to install. Later, when I converted to 5x5.5 manual hubs I needed longer wheel studs. Carbon Offroad had them to me the next day at no charge and sent me studs for the front wheels as well even though I had not purchased anything for my front axle from them. If I recall correctly, I have a 15 years warranty on the axle shafts. Plenty long enough; I will be an very old man when the warranty expires.

I am using Yukon front chromoly axle shafts. Why not Carbon Offroad? Because I am using Yukon manual hubs and I wanted related parts to be from the same manufacturer to avoid any finger pointing between companies in the event of a warranty claim. Yukon hubs, Yukon axle shafts.

I have had no issues with the products from either vendor.

Last edited:
I bought Yukon axles last year and didn't get around to installing them for a couple of months. When the mechanic opened the box up, it was missing both ujoints and one outer axle spline. I tried to contact Yukon several times and they pretty much wrote me off. They make it so difficult to get through to anyone that can or will help.

I bought Yukon axles last year and didn't get around to installing them for a couple of months. When the mechanic opened the box up, it was missing both ujoints and one outer axle spline. I tried to contact Yukon several times and they pretty much wrote me off. They make it so difficult to get through to anyone that can or will help.

That is why one should always open and inspect the contents of a shipment as soon as possible after receipt. The commercial code of every state gives the consumer the right to inspect a shipment and reject non-conforming goods, but that must be done within a reasonable time. A couple of months is not a reasonable time.

Sorry, but no vendor would have an obligation to do anything under those circumstances.

That is why one should always open and inspect the contents of a shipment as soon as possible after receipt. The commercial code of every state gives the consumer the right to inspect a shipment and reject non-conforming goods, but that must be done within a reasonable time. A couple of months is not a reasonable time.

Sorry, but no vendor would have an obligation to do anything under those circumstances.

That's what I was thinking at the time. I mainly wanted to draw they're attention to the discrepancy in the order.

All of the imported chromoly axle shafts are pretty much the same except for the boxes they come in. They all come from the same foundries.

Use the company that provides the best customer service and warranty.

I tried to purchase rear Dana 44 axle shafts from Revolution Gear and Axle. They were able to ship the 5.38:1 gear sets I needed, but gave me the runaround for weeks on availability of axle shafts in a misguided attempt to keep me on the hook and dissuade me from purchasing elsewhere. That bullshit cost them a customer for life no matter how good they claim their products or their warranty may be. Fool me once, shame on them. Fool me twice, shame on me.

I purchased my rear chromoly axle shafts from Carbon Offroad. The boxes were at my doorstep in two days, assembled with bearings and wheel studs and ready to install. Later, when I converted to 5x5.5 manual hubs I needed longer wheel studs. Carbon Offroad had them to me the next day at no charge and sent me studs for the front wheels as well even though I had not purchased anything for my front axle from them. If I recall correctly, I have a 15 years warranty on the axle shafts. Plenty long enough; I will be an very old man when the warranty expires.

I am using Yukon front chromoly axle shafts. Why not Carbon Offroad? Because I am using Yukon manual hubs and I wanted related parts to be from the same manufacturer to avoid any finger pointing between companies in the event of a warranty claim. Yukon hubs, Yukon axle shafts.

I have had no issues with the products from either vendor.

Sorry to hear that. I’m pretty set on giving carbon off road a go here. With Black Friday sale seems worth it and the reviews as much as you can trust on their website and folks here gives me good confidence moving forward with them.

Sorry to hear that. I’m pretty set on giving carbon off road a go here. With Black Friday sale seems worth it and the reviews as much as you can trust on their website and folks here gives me good confidence moving forward with them.

Think twice before you buy anything from Carbon, read the Google reviews for them, one of the last ones is mine and I am not the only one. Just my 2 cents.
Go with Revolution.

Think twice before you buy anything from Carbon, read the Google reviews for them, one of the last ones is mine and I am not the only one. Just my 2 cents.
Go with Revolution.

Their full denial of warranty for an axle assembly if you use anyone else's axle shafts is more than enough to raise an eyebrow or several. The ramifications of that are mind bending.

I've got Carbon Offroad in the front that ran with 33's locked and now 35's locked. I haven't had any trouble with the Carbon Offroad, but I'm just one person's experience. When I later added rear 4140's for a Dana 44 I went with Revolution.

Reactions: shortydog33