Colonoscopy day tomorrow

P

P man

Yep im posting this on a public forum to remind all of you over 45 years old to get checked if you haven't. I go in tomorrow so today is clear stuff only which is really hard for a fat guy like me. I had a family friend die of butt cancer and I assure you it isn't a pleasant way to go so make the appt today!!!

I got one (and endoscopy) when I was 20 due to some issues at the time. No problems, but sure did not enjoy the prep day leading up to it. The procedures themselves were under anesthesia so to me it was a 1-second simple ordeal. But 24 hours of only liquid sure sucked.

Reactions: P man
I got one (and endoscopy) when I was 20 due to some issues at the time. No problems, but sure did not enjoy the prep day leading up to it. The procedures themselves were under anesthesia so to me it was a 1-second simple ordeal. But 24 hours of only liquid sure sucked.

It's torture lol..im sitting here drinking tea instead of my coffee with creamer and then I have jello to look forward to for my lunch. I just keep telling myself its only a day

Yep im posting this on a public forum to remind all of you over 45 years old to get checked if you haven't.

I asked my primary about this probably 2 years ago and she said they no longer recommend it unless you're currently having issues. Maybe that was just for under 40?

Glad you are be proactive with your health! I'm terribly sorry for the loss of your buddy.
I've had 2 colonoscopies and the fasting was by far the worst part. Do make a point to drink plenty of fluids as it will make your evening easier. The rest of the prep ain't fun but it sure isn't as bad as some people like to make it. Everything comes out but it isn't like having a stomach virus. The nice thing is after you have the procedure and get home to take a nap you end up feeling pretty good.
There is no reason anyone should avoid getting theirs.

I asked my primary about this probably 2 years ago and she said they no longer recommend it unless you're currently having issues. Maybe that was just for under 40?

I am having issues so maybe that is true? My primary was pretty clear about everyone getting one older than 45. I wonder why they wouldn't recommended it? Could it be insurance related?

I wonder why they wouldn't recommended it? Could it be insurance related?

Her basic answer was that statistically they provide little preventive care, but knowing the industry, I’d guess insurance is a driving force. Again, that might just be for under 40. She watched the relief come over my face. :LOL:

Reactions: P man
Her basic answer was that statistically they provide little preventive care, but knowing the industry, I’d guess insurance is a driving force. Again, that might just be for under 40. She watched the relief come over my face. :LOL:

Per the American cancer society everyone should get one at 45 YO. I think it's a personal choice and everyone is different. Please don't let a day of being uncomfortable get in the way of possibly catching cancer

45 is the recommended age for the average adult. If you have a family history of colon cancer then you should get it at 40 or 10 years before the earliest family members age at diagnosis. If you are having any symptoms then you should have it regardless of age.
Insurance can be the bigger pain in the a$$. If you meet the age requirements or family history then the procedure is considered preventative and is fully covered. If you are under the recommended age then it becomes a diagnostic procedure and you will have to pay your co-pays and deductibles.

Back in the day, many companies 'forced' their employees, especially executives covered by expensive health insurance, to get a colonoscopy every five years until age 60, then one every year. I got mine in 1995. No anesthesia. A completely humiliating and embarrassing event. Since that experience, I promised myself, never again. Now they have simple blood tests that indicate the presence of colon cancer. Good enough for me.

(P.S. As stated previously, I am not a medical doctor. Do your own research. Ask your doctor.)

Back in the day, many companies 'forced' their employees, especially executives covered by expensive health insurance, to get a colonoscopy every five years until age 60, then one every year. I got mine in 1995. No anesthesia. A completely humiliating and embarrassing event. Since that experience, I promised myself, never again. Now they have simple blood tests that indicate the presence of colon cancer. Good enough for me.

(P.S. As stated previously, I am not a medical doctor. Do your own research. Ask your doctor.)

My wife did one of those mail order tests for colon cancer and it came back as positive..so now she has to wait a month or longer to get in for a colonoscopy to verify and turns out to be a false positive. Per the doctor there is a small amount of false positives from these tests so keep that in mind.

Just a little more information for those who are interested. I do support anyone's personal decisions when they consider their own risk factors. What's right for one person may not be right for another. I always recommend doing your own research using reputable sources and peer revied studies.

About 13%, or more than 1 in ten, of the stool DNA (Cologuard) tests give a false positive result. This can be a result something as simple as diet prior to the test or another GI medical issue like hemorrhoids. The stool DNA tests can find up to 92% of colon cancers but only around 42% of large polyps. Another type of non-invasive test is the Fecal Immunochemical Test or FIT. It has been shown to detect colon cancer in 79% to 95% of patients. It has a lower false positive rate of 5%. Large polyp detection, unfortunately, can be as low as 24%. By comparison a colonoscopy can find over 99% of cancers and around 95% of large polyps and up to 93% of polyps smaller than 6mm. If using fecal tests it is recommended that they be done annually. The time frame of additional colonoscopies will be determined by a physician depending on the results of the first procedure. Usually somewhere between 5 and 10 years.

There are some very valid reasons why a person might choose one test over another. One major consideration, however, is that stool testing is fairly reliable at telling you that you have cancer but very poor at giving you a chance to prevent it. The other thing to consider is that if you have positive result on a stool test then your follow up colonoscopy will likely be documented as diagnostic and not be 100% covered by insurance.

Just a little more information for those who are interested. I do support anyone's personal decisions when they consider their own risk factors. What's right for one person may not be right for another. I always recommend doing your own research using reputable sources and peer revied studies.

About 13%, or more than 1 in ten, of the stool DNA (Cologuard) tests give a false positive result. This can be a result something as simple as diet prior to the test or another GI medical issue like hemorrhoids. The stool DNA tests can find up to 92% of colon cancers but only around 42% of large polyps. Another type of non-invasive test is the Fecal Immunochemical Test or FIT. It has been shown to detect colon cancer in 79% to 95% of patients. It has a lower false positive rate of 5%. Large polyp detection, unfortunately, can be as low as 24%. By comparison a colonoscopy can find over 99% of cancers and around 95% of large polyps and up to 93% of polyps smaller than 6mm. If using fecal tests it is recommended that they be done annually. The time frame of additional colonoscopies will be determined by a physician depending on the results of the first procedure. Usually somewhere between 5 and 10 years.

There are some very valid reasons why a person might choose one test over another. One major consideration, however, is that stool testing is fairly reliable at telling you that you have cancer but very poor at giving you a chance to prevent it. The other thing to consider is that if you have positive result on a stool test then your follow up colonoscopy will likely be documented as diagnostic and not be 100% covered by insurance.

Great info, thanks

Reactions: 06lj
I had a good friend die at 30 with colon cancer. Part of his problem was he had switched jobs and was working as a temp to hire. They didn't offer benefits until you get hired and he took his chances and lost. So don't go without medical insurance for any period of time. He ended up in the county system, on a waiting list for surgery.

My dad has colon cancer that has spread. He's already had 2 surgeries and isn't expected to live longer than another 5 years. He's 86.

I'm 51, I've had two colonoscopy's and they found polyps in both. Luckily not cancer. My next one is scheduled for February. Of course, not looking forward to it. I've had unrelated cancer, so take that seriously.

Take the prep seriously. At my last one, I heard them talking to the guy in the next bed. He didn't follow his prep closely enough and they sent him home, had to reschedule. So don't do that.

The prep is really the only bad part. When I did mine, they give you a amnesia drug so you won't remember it, even though I was awake for the whole thing. My funny story with the amnesia part: When leaving, my wife was starting a new job and had to get to work. So she asked me what I wanted to pickup for lunch on the way home. I requested a take out BBQ place (Dickey's). She said that would take too long, so what else did I want? Apparently I was thinking about it and didn't respond, so she asked again. WHAT DO YOU WANT FOR LUNCH?

Can we get Dickey's?? That sounds good! Wife explained we ALREADY WENT OVER THIS. My next memory after that was sitting at home staring at a Carl's Junior bag, wife's gone. Hey look! There's a Western Bacon Cheeseburger in there! My favorite! It was like a surprise even though I ordered it.

I had a good friend die at 30 with colon cancer. Part of his problem was he had switched jobs and was working as a temp to hire. They didn't offer benefits until you get hired and he took his chances and lost. So don't go without medical insurance for any period of time. He ended up in the county system, on a waiting list for surgery.

My dad has colon cancer that has spread. He's already had 2 surgeries and isn't expected to live longer than another 5 years. He's 86.

I'm 51, I've had two colonoscopy's and they found polyps in both. Luckily not cancer. My next one is scheduled for February. Of course, not looking forward to it. I've had unrelated cancer, so take that seriously.

Take the prep seriously. At my last one, I heard them talking to the guy in the next bed. He didn't follow his prep closely enough and they sent him home, had to reschedule. So don't do that.

The prep is really the only bad part. When I did mine, they give you a amnesia drug so you won't remember it, even though I was awake for the whole thing. My funny story with the amnesia part: When leaving, my wife was starting a new job and had to get to work. So she asked me what I wanted to pickup for lunch on the way home. I requested a take out BBQ place (Dickey's). She said that would take too long, so what else did I want? Apparently I was thinking about it and didn't respond, so she asked again. WHAT DO YOU WANT FOR LUNCH?

Can we get Dickey's?? That sounds good! Wife explained we ALREADY WENT OVER THIS. My next memory after that was sitting at home staring at a Carl's Junior bag, wife's gone. Hey look! There's a Western Bacon Cheeseburger in there! My favorite! It was like a surprise even though I ordered it.

I'm doing good on the prep so far but good point about it. The nurse told me that every once in a while people don't follow the prep and then have to do the procedure again, not fun!!!

So they didn't put you under? Is that what they call twilight? You are awake but don't care about things going where they shouldn't lol

Reactions: freedom_in_4low