Confusing P0205 Code

zachpeakee

The most hated man on the internet
Supporting Member
My 2000 Sahara is being prepped to sell.
It's never given me ANY mechanical/Engine issues, and has only thrown TWO engine lights during my entire ownership.

Both have been the P0205 Code.
"Fuel Injector 5 Circuit/Open"

Both times the issue has resolved itself within a matter of seconds, with a quick turn off, crank back up.

From everything i'm reading, the issues point everywhere from the Injector itself, to faulty wiring, to PCM issues.
Pretty much, chase my ass to get to my elbow.

My question is, what is causing the code, and where is the first place to start pointing fingers?

I've considered driving up to Oreillys, buying an injector, and swapping it in.
Is that the typical course of action?

I would prefer to fix this issue entirely before selling, versus dumping it onto any potential buyers.

Any insight/experience with this code is appreciated.

1707706974628.png

I'd pull apart your wiring harness from the injectors back to the PCM. You'll probably find wiring issues to fix and fresh loom and tape will make that engine bay look sharp.

You also could move injector five left or right and see if the code follows the injectors...if you've never pulled the injectors best have a new set of o-rings on hand.

-Mac

I'd pull apart your wiring harness from the injectors back to the PCM. You'll probably find wiring issues to fix and fresh loom and tape will make that engine bay look sharp.

You also could move injector five left or right and see if the code follows the injectors...if you've never pulled the injectors best have a new set of o-rings on hand.

-Mac

I'm thinking instead of chasing the injector around, I'll just replace it entirely.
Oreilly's up the street has a new injector for only $40.

The worst case, it DOESN'T fix my issue, and I start chasing plugs/wiring.

It's been an odd issue, in the way that it's come/gone twice now, with no other symptoms.
As soon as I turn the TJ off, and crank it back up, it's like I'm chasing a ghost.

Last edited:
Update on my Fuel Injector Open Circuit Issue...

The main Injector wiring harness was rubbing against the bolt on the rear of the Valve Cover.
Bolt rubbed through the loom, and rubbed the insulation from a wire.

Repaired the wire, taped the loom, and all is well again.

*probably going to go to Home Depot soon, and buy a piece of 1/2" conduit insulation, and wrap a 6" section around the loom at that bolt, and do the same to my LJ to prevent future issues.

Harbor freight sells plastic split loom...I'd use that over conduit.

And Super 88 tape...thicker!

Nice job!

-Mac

My only concern is the plastic loom replicating the same issue in the future.
Although it won't necessarily be MY problem at that point, 4" of insulation wouldn't look completely out of place, but would save someone the headache.

My only concern is the plastic loom replicating the same issue in the future.
Although it won't necessarily be MY problem at that point, 4" of insulation wouldn't look completely out of place, but would save someone the headache.

First one lasted 20 some odd years.. I think that reairs and split loom would exceed your warranty and conscious. =)

Just glad you found the issue!

-Mac

First one lasted 20 some odd years.. I think that reairs and split loom would exceed your warranty and conscious. =)

Just glad you found the issue!

-Mac

You've got me sold.

I PREFER to replace with split loom, just because it looks less out of place!
Was just unsure the longevity of it.

Reactions: macleanflood