Coolant dripping

Personally I like pulling the thermostat housing and thermostat when doing a flush.

But that can open up a whole can of worms.

I just put a head gasket on a 2004 WJ with a 4.0. There was a split down the back side of the heater hose. Guessing that's where most of the coolant leaked out. Then it overheated. They let it cool down, drove it until it overheated again. They checked the overflow tank and it said full!

I put it in my flatbed trailer and hauled it home. Pulled the thermostat. Filled it full of distilled water. Soon as it got up to temp there was a fan tail of water out the back between the head and block.

Guessing the head gasket might not have been original...blue MLS...and guessing the PO didn't change the torque once head bolts where they replaced it.

You seem attentive enough and a little leak isn't terrible so I think you could drive it.

Renting a truck and flatbed from U Haul is also cheaper than a tow bill.

-Mac

as mentioend above...if changing water pump and have to drain fluid. mine as well replace everything in the cooling system while at it given age and or mileage. upper/lower radiator hose, thermostat housing, thermostat, water pump, radiator, etc. Both my jeeps had radiators weeping and the 04 water pump was dripping out of weep hole. It is easy to do yourself on these jeeps...but i prefer to do it once and drain it all once. Parts honestly are not expensive for jeeps compared to water pump and other parts for other vehicles. try to find OEM Mopar if possible. I used Napa water pump on 04 and AC delco water pump on my 06. Both got CSF HD radiators off of rockauto.

Same as @wwolfe change it all. I’ve got all the parts in garage, minus the radiator. See s like since it isn’t broken and is OEM to leave it alone. I even ordered a NTK temp sending unit, still debating on whether to use it or put the OEM back in. But I think NTK is OEM.

I have this same issue. Just yesterday when this was posted I smelled coolant on the highway and knew it was trouble, especially with my girl who I was just bringing back from urgent care. Got to the end of the ramp and wheel locked. A blessed soul came and pushed it to a station for me. Mines leaking from the same location, I’ll take off my radiator and see exactly what it is. From most posts it sounds like a water pump and I’m worried I can’t find a fitting Mopar.

I have this same issue. Just yesterday when this was posted I smelled coolant on the highway and knew it was trouble, especially with my girl who I was just bringing back from urgent care. Got to the end of the ramp and wheel locked. A blessed soul came and pushed it to a station for me. Mines leaking from the same location, I’ll take off my radiator and see exactly what it is. From most posts it sounds like a water pump and I’m worried I can’t find a fitting Mopar.

Have you crawled underneath jeep? If it's a 2005 like mine I did not have to pull radiator to see the bottom of the pump, it is on the engine block. Which is where my leak was Try a mirror and flashlight as well. I ordered my pump off Amazon, 3 sellers I seen have my year Mopar water pump, although the one I ordered it from is having a hiccup with getting here. I called local dealerships and they were $100. more. Rockauto is also a good site to check. 🤗for your girl.

Have you crawled underneath jeep? If it's a 2005 like mine I did not have to pull radiator to see the bottom of the pump, it is on the engine block. Which is where my leak was Try a mirror and flashlight as well. I ordered my pump off Amazon, 3 sellers I seen have my year Mopar water pump, although the one I ordered it from is having a hiccup with getting here. I called local dealerships and they were $100. more. Rockauto is also a good site to check. 🤗for your girl.

Mine’s a 97 Sport. I’ve since removed the water pump and thermostat. I’m replacing the thermostat and its gasket because it was torn to the wazoo. It may not be my pump at all because when I tested it (shooting water through the hose that connects to the top of the rad), water leaked from above the pump rather than behind where I gather it’d fail. Even though there’s a big chance it’s still good, I’ll replace it with a good pump anyway. Rather now when I’m at home than in the middle of nowhere paying a tow bill. I’m at 185k miles.

Did you get your water pump (and) install it? I just got through replacing hella parts and the mopar works

Did you get your water pump (and) install it? I just got through replacing hella parts and the mopar works

Yes, did the water pump this weekend. All good so far.
Unfortunately, after running around to check out pump, seen another leak..now the radiator has a small leak at the top. On the hunt for a good radiator, looked everywhere for Mopar and none to be found.

Reactions: macleanflood
Yes, did the water pump this weekend. All good so far.
Unfortunately, after running around to check out pump, seen another leak..now the radiator has a small leak at the top. On the hunt for a good radiator, looked everywhere for Mopar and none to be found.

Did you try wermoparparts.com? They do not make for the manual any longer. You can use the one for the automatic and plug the trans oil cooler holes. I called the gentleman who deals with internet sales. At that time he said he usually get a couple weekly.

Did you try wermoparparts.com? They do not make for the manual any longer. You can use the one for the automatic and plug the trans oil cooler holes. I called the gentleman who deals with internet sales. At that time he said he usually get a couple weekly.

Ty! Just checked their site now and showed discontinued.i will call them for the automatic.
Do you happen to know what is used to plug the trans cooler holes?