Coolant electrolysis

Lucky!

Looks like I may be having some ground issues potentially causing electrolysis. Could be a bad heater core causing the smell I’m getting in vents. I’ve already checked the resistor (new) and the fan (new) as well as there’s no leaves or debris under the cowl. There appears to be one ground wire from the hood to the body that I need to replace. But I really don’t think that’s causing the issue. Here are a pictures of the body to engine, ground strap and broken hood ground strap. The body to engine strap is green, but pulling on it it’s still very strong connection on both sides. I’m good with a lot of mechanical things, but electrical is not my area of expertise. I had to replace the radiator recently when I was doing a full flush because the petcock and the other one continued to leak. The picture shows the radiator along with the new screws attaching it to the frame.

IMG_2603.jpeg

IMG_2605.jpeg

IMG_2606.jpeg

Looks like I may be having some ground issues potentially causing electrolysis. Could be a bad heater core causing the smell I’m getting in vents. I’ve already checked the resistor (new) and the fan (new) as well as there’s no leaves or debris under the cowl. There appears to be one ground wire from the hood to the body that I need to replace. But I really don’t think that’s causing the issue. Here are a pictures of the body to engine, ground strap and broken hood ground strap. The body to engine strap is green, but pulling on it it’s still very strong connection on both sides. I’m good with a lot of mechanical things, but electrical is not my area of expertise. I had to replace the radiator recently when I was doing a full flush because the petcock and the other one continued to leak. The picture shows the radiator along with the new screws attaching it to the frame. After I posted these three pictures, a removed the screws holding the ground straps. Clean them up put them back. I also attached a ground strap from the hood to the body. Eventually, I’ll replace that strap. It looks crappy but for now that’s what I did. I also did a multi meter test With the engine off took a picture of that reading. I also did it with the engine and I forgot to take a picture, but the reading was generally the same.

View attachment 475024

View attachment 475025

View attachment 475026

IMG_2607.jpeg

IMG_2609.jpeg

Are you seeing a chemical reaction in your coolant, or is it just the smell that makes you expect some form of electrolysis? If it is some form of chemical reaction, then one would expect some form of precipitation. Do you see gunk or a separation in your overflow bottle? If your. Oolant system was clogged up from gunk, that may have caused an internal over pressure leaking to failing radiator and heater core, hence the smell. I understand you replaced the radiator, but how does your overflow look? Is it clean and one layered?

So the coolant is spotless since the full flush, I believe it’s a failing heater core vs electrolysis. Multi meter test seems to be a good number. The temperature gauge is exactly where it’s supposed to be so not thermostat. I’ve taken the hvac control out after a ride, no smell from connections. Process of elimination Im guessing is the core. I just ordered both core and evaporator since i’ll be in there anyway.

So the coolant is spotless since the full flush, I believe it’s a failing heater core vs electrolysis. Multi meter test seems to be a good number. The temperature gauge is exactly where it’s supposed to be so not thermostat. I’ve taken the hvac control out after a ride, no smell from connections. Process of elimination Im guessing is the core. I just ordered both core and evaporator since i’ll be in there anyway.

Yeah, normally if you are smelling coolant inside the cab, it is a leaking heater core. I had that problem and my mechanic confirmed it was the heater core. He changed it and the smell went away. I use to work on my vehicle myself, but since they came out with all these computers and I got old, I don't bother anymore. I let professionals handle it. They aren't always as meticulous as I was, but they get the job done. I'm sure you can probably handle it. It sounds like it.

Reactions: Lucky!
Yeah, normally if you are smelling coolant inside the cab, it is a leaking heater core. I had that problem and my mechanic confirmed it was the heater core. He changed it and the smell went away. I use to work on my vehicle myself, but since they came out with all these computers and I got old, I don't bother anymore. I let professionals handle it. They aren't always as meticulous as I was, but they get the job done. I'm sure you can probably handle it. It sounds like it.

A few more years of DIY for me, then I’ll let someone else do it. I try to be meticulous as well. Thanks for responding.

Reactions: ChasUGC
Need a little help. At the back end of heater core and evaporator replacement. Having trouble with quick connection on ac line. Slides in easy enough it just won’t lock. Any ideas? So many others have videos of removing hvac box, overall not bad. Other than this one connection, I need to reattach a few last things. Here are my pics.

IMG_2640.jpeg

IMG_2633.jpeg

IMG_2634.jpeg

IMG_2635.jpeg

IMG_2636.jpeg

IMG_2637.jpeg

Try a little silicone spray lube? Some of those just really need shoved hard to lock.

-Mac

Success!!!! Ty. I also used the release tool and put it in there and moved it around a bit to work in the silicone. Other than some of the electronics inside, which is easy the last thing is reconnecting the cowl drain which I’m not looking forward to. Just a pain to get it over that bolt without cracking it.

Im having the same issue.. I have a 2010 wrangler and have replaced the heater core 3 times in 3 years. Every time I replace it the life span gets shorter. I have just heard about this electrolysis and it has sparked me to look into that for a ground issue in the jeep.. I have always used a new Murray Heater crore from oreillys. I have not done a full flush.

Im having the same issue.. I have a 2010 wrangler and have replaced the heater core 3 times in 3 years. Every time I replace it the life span gets shorter. I have just heard about this electrolysis and it has sparked me to look into that for a ground issue in the jeep.. I have always used a new Murray Heater crore from oreillys. I have not done a full flush.

This forum is for 97-06 Wranglers. Most of us are mostly into the TJ/LJ.

You want https://wranglerjkforum.net/