Cor Ten steel for frames

chino1969

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I worked on several projects involving the use of Cor Ten steel. This steel is designed to develop a surface layer of rust, forming a protective layer for the steel underneath. Once this protective layer of rust is formed there is no further degradation of the base metal. A frame made out of Cor Ten would last a long time without any special treatment or coating.

https://www.ssab.us/products/brands/ssab-weathering-steel

Seems like a good idea, but after some research, it seems like it doesn't do well in humid environments and the salt that causes frame rot will also cause this material to fail as well.The Omni Coliseum in Atlanta is one such example I found. Also, the welds of the attachments to the frame would still be prone to the same corrosion problems of our current frames.

i don't think this material is the magic we are all looking for to solve our frame woes

Seems like a good idea, but after some research, it seems like it doesn't do well in humid environments and the salt that causes frame rot will also cause this material to fail as well.The Omni Coliseum in Atlanta is one such example I found. Also, the welds of the attachments to the frame would still be prone to the same corrosion problems of our current frames.

i don't think this material is the magic we are all looking for to solve our frame woes

I don't believe there is a magic solution to rust as it is a natural chemical process involving the reaction of iron and oxygen in the presence of water or air moisture. The only viable way to stay on top of it is to have a good coating on the steel and then incorporate a preventive maintenance program to minimize. A bi- annual flush of the frame internals and examination with a borescope will at least identify any problem areas which can be dealt with before they get worse.

Reactions: Bofa-Deez