Core4x4 rear track bar

psychoticpinkbunny

Hello and greetings from the UK!

First time posting, but have been lurking in the background for sometime now.

Was after anyone who's installed a Core4x4 Tier 3 rear tack bar on their TJ, could you post some photo's?

Got mine the other day and while they look and feel like a quality product, fitment is a little off.
The joint doesn't line-up in the centre and the johnny joint rubs on the bracket.

I don't have photo of the bar fitted, but this is side-by-side with the original:

IMG_20221121_121645.jpg

IMG_20221121_121648 - Copy.jpg

Many thanks :)

What you have there is an adjustable length track bar. Adjust its length by rotating the joint at the bottom of your second photo so the track bar has the correct length. Tighten the jam nut to hold it in position once you have the correct length.

Thanks Jerry - Yes, I understand all that, but when i wind-out the joint to the same length, the joint is at an angle in the bracket which then rubs.

I'll have to get photos of what I fully mean, but if anyone has installed the core4x4 before and this is normal, let me know.

What you have there is an adjustable length track bar. Adjust its length by rotating the joint at the bottom of your second photo so the track bar has the correct length. Tighten the jam nut to hold it in position once you have the correct length.

The adjust-ability is kind of obvious. It's the other problem the OP is talking about, the bolt angle.

Maybe that Core4x4 bar is for a tilted differential? @psychoticpinkbunny do you have a lift? Using a rear track bar bracket? Straight or at an angle?

The adjust-ability is kind of obvious. It's the other problem the OP is talking about, the bolt angle.

Maybe that Core4x4 bar is for a tilted differential? @psychoticpinkbunny do you have a lift? Using a rear track bar bracket? Straight or at an angle?

Thanks for the feedback :)

Honestly, I'm super new at Jeep's and learning as I go along. Didn't realise you can have tilted diffs.

The plan was to upgrade the control arms and front/rear track bars with adjustable, then install a lift at a later date.
Only the upper/lower arms where installed due to the rear track bar not fitting correctly.
I've got all the parts for a lift now, including a relocation bracket for the rear, but I see the angle still being off.

What kind of lift will you be using? Spring, spacer? How much lift?

It will make a difference for whether you need the relocation bracket, and whether you need to angle the rear diff up with the adjustable control arms. And you might need an SYE and new driveshaft. Or not.

A rear track bar can be a little bit of a mechanical challenge- Especially if the jeep is lifted because you have a lot of variables when it comes to pinion angle and how close the axle is to the gas tank-

I just went through a good bit of drama due to breaking a bracket and I’m just gonna say something that I think it’s just a general statement - not the gospel truth

If you think that putting one in everything is just going to fall right in place that’s most likely not going to happen in most scenarios-

On the other hand , If you have to use 2 ratchet straps and a jack and a 5 pound hammer you’re probably doing something wrong.

One thing I decided to do was remove the control arm and install the bolt from inside the control arm bracket rather than try to deal with lifting everything up so it would clear the gas tank going the other direction down at the axle.

Also whether it is a control arm or track bar which is the same thing if I get a bolt all the way through and it’s hanging a little bit in the other side where it needs to exit I don’t mind using my cordless ratchet and letting the threads carry the bolt the rest of the way- Roughing up the threads just makes the bolt stay on better-I say this at the risk of sounding like a hack.

You also may want to consider which end you install first- If you install the axle end first you can then remove the right rear tire and have a little more access to install the bolt at the frame- Sometimes a ratchet strap is a little helpful but again this should not be a life or death struggle to get this thing in if it is something may be in a bind or just not oriented correctly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jamesval035
What kind of lift will you be using? Spring, spacer? How much lift?

It will make a difference for whether you need the relocation bracket, and whether you need to angle the rear diff up with the adjustable control arms. And you might need an SYE and new driveshaft. Or not.

There was a couple of deciding factors on which lift I went for and the application of the jeep - application is mainly mud/water, rutted ground and small gullies (nothing like you guys have in the US) - plus there's delivery to the UK.

Took inspiration from both the JKS and Metalcloak lift kits and ended up with:

Core4x4 10 piece tier3 kit (upper/lower control arms and front/rear track bar)
Core4x4 rear drop link
JKS front sway bar disconnects
Metalcloak 3.5" dual rate coils
Metalcloak rocksport shocks
Metalcloak front/rear bump stops, brake lines and shock mounts
Teraflex rear track bar relocation bracket
Teraflex steering stabiliser

Spoke with the guys from Metalcloak, they suggested a SYE and new driveshaft - and after chatting with the guys at Tom Woods, getting the length of the driveshaft was better after having the lift done.

After reading @AndyG post above, I think axle side install first - The wheels will be off and the chassis jacked up with the axle on stands when doing the shocks and springs

Reactions: AndyG
With an SYE, you'll want to adjust your rear control arms to point the front of the diff up toward the back of the tranny. That might be what that angle on the track bar is accounting for, with the diff bracket leaning back. I can't really see from your pictures what that track bar looks like - usually there are compound bends.

Reactions: Weasellee
With an SYE, you'll want to adjust your rear control arms to point the front of the diff up toward the back of the tranny. That might be what that angle on the track bar is accounting for, with the diff bracket leaning back. I can't really see from your pictures what that track bar looks like - usually there are compound bends.

AHA..! I think you might have hit the nail on the head! Makes sense the axle would need to rotated to account for the different angle and in turn would move the bracket into alignment.
Thanks for that, I'll have a chat with the mechanic on Monday!

I think I see what you’re saying. It sounds like the actual joint housing is misaligned with the bracket and not allowing it to slide in. Basically it’s cockeyed.

I just finished putting one on mine, and I attached it at the axle first and then the frame side. I could rotate it till the frame side lined up, all while being able to manipulate the joint already attached at the axle end. Maybe give that a try?

I think I see what you’re saying. It sounds like the actual joint housing is misaligned with the bracket and not allowing it to slide in. Basically it’s cockeyed.

I just finished putting one on mine, and I attached it at the axle first and then the frame side. I could rotate it till the frame side lined up, all while being able to manipulate the joint already attached at the axle end. Maybe give that a try?

That's the issue - the more I think about it @OldBuzzard is correct. The axle needs tilting backwards for everything to align up.

Reactions: Jamison C
The axle needs tilting backwards for everything to align up.

That's not going to change the angle issue of the trackbar though, you'd have to make your axle crabwalk for that to correct for that angle.

I've had a few different track bars now and don't remember ever seeing that lower bend in them. I think you may have gotten the wrong one. I'll have my currie one out in a week or so to look, though hopefully you find an answer before then.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Honestly, I'm super new at Jeep's and learning as I go along. Didn't realise you can have tilted diffs.

The plan was to upgrade the control arms and front/rear track bars with adjustable, then install a lift at a later date.
Only the upper/lower arms where installed due to the rear track bar not fitting correctly.
I've got all the parts for a lift now, including a relocation bracket for the rear, but I see the angle still being off.

I have a Core 4x4 Tier 4 rear TB. I’ll go take a pic and see if the bends are the same. I’ll edit and attach images to this post.

EDIT, the bends don’t look the same to me. It’s difficult to get a good angle for the photo.

56265B4A-7159-4E30-BABA-B2ED1BFCB680.jpeg

E9298653-8E65-48B2-9F6C-9426D460477F.jpeg

Last edited:
Keep in mind core 4x4 rear track bar is designed to be used WITHOUT a relocation bracket. Mine fits well with 4” spring lift, no sye, yet. 🇺🇸

Keep in mind core 4x4 rear track bar is designed to be used WITHOUT a relocation bracket. Mine fits well with 4” spring lift, no sye, yet. 🇺🇸

I've had mixed messages, including from the guys at core4x4.

My TJ is RHD so I don't know if it's any different from a LHD setup?

The TJ is getting a SYE and driveshaft fitted on the 11th April, will ask the chaps to remove the relocation bracket, see what they think

Reactions: Weasellee
I have a Core 4x4 Tier 4 rear TB. I’ll go take a pic and see if the bends are the same. I’ll edit and attach images to this post.

EDIT, the bends don’t look the same to me. It’s difficult to get a good angle for the photo.

View attachment 381401

View attachment 381402

Apologies - totally missed your reply!
Appreciate you taking photos.

If the weather is good this weekend I'll get the back wheels off and take some myself for comparison

I've had mixed messages, including from the guys at core4x4.

My TJ is RHD so I don't know if it's any different from a LHD setup?

The TJ is getting a SYE and driveshaft fitted on the 11th April, will ask the chaps to remove the relocation bracket, see what they think

Is your rear track bar attached to the passenger side of the frame and drivers side of the axle like our lhd's?