Cosmoline or Fluid Film, what say you?

FireJeep

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So there has been some previous posts about this, but I did not see any one offer any real opinions on cosmoline. I know in the Corps a new rifle would be coated with this stuff and what a PIA to get it all off.....that being said, it would seem to me to be as good or better than fluid film since it is thicker and more tenacious....... thoughts?

I do not think so, cosmoline dries to a wax like finish, fluid film stays more "oily"..... not sure which is more tenacious or protects better.....

My gut tells me that it would be hard to get a consistent coating of cosmoline. They dunk rifles in it when it is melted and it semi-solidifies to a waxy state as you mentioned. I would worry that water could work its way underneath in a small break and become trapped causing unseen rust damage, much like what happens with water trapped under the foot well carpeting in our TJs. I think the fluid film is a better option, although it requires more re-application. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: FireJeep
Interesting stuff, have you used it as a corrosion preventative on your Jeep? Seems like it would work well..... pretty pricey though......

Interesting stuff, have you used it as a corrosion preventative on your Jeep? Seems like it would work well..... pretty pricey though......
I use it all the time on both aircraft and vehicles. It works good on hardware as long as you keep it off the bolt threads until after they are tightened, then coat liberally. Tim

I’ve been using FF on the Tacoma in Massachusetts salt fields (aka highways) for 5 years now and there’s damn near zero visible rusting. I’m going to stick with what appears to be working but to each their own.

Also cosmo could gunk up and be very difficult to remove yearly with a pressure wash, which isn’t an issue with FF.

Massachusetts salt fields (aka highways)

that's awesome, step aside Bonneville Salt Flats there's a new kid in town

Salt flats.jpg

here in the great salt-state of Pennsylvania, PENNDOT prefers a 3 step approach for maximum saltization, first, the day before the storm they lay down seemingly 329 million gallons of brine, then, when the satellite picks up a flake the rock salt trucks descend upon the streets in a race to beat the flake to the asphalt & lay down what looks like another 8 million tons of salt, when the snow ends they plow followed by a supplemental salting to be sure.

I've often thought forget about the corrosion of vehicles, isn't this some sort of environmental catastrophe to introduce this much salt? Dunno, but someone oughta get Al Gore on it

that's awesome, step aside Bonneville Salt Flats there's a new kid in town

View attachment 61927

here in the great salt-state of Pennsylvania, PENNDOT prefers a 3 step approach for maximum saltization, first, the day before the storm they lay down seemingly 329 million gallons of brine, then, when the satellite picks up a flake the rock salt trucks descend upon the streets in a race to beat the flake to the asphalt & lay down what looks like another 8 million tons of salt, when the snow ends they plow followed by a supplemental salting to be sure.

I've often thought forget about the corrosion of vehicles, isn't this some sort of environmental catastrophe to introduce this much salt? Dunno, but someone oughta get Al Gore on it

When I became a Masshole, the stars aligned and we got hit with 9+ feet of snow in a single winter (2014-2015). Brutal. So brutal in fact that we ran out of places to put the snow, which prompted the discussion to dump it into the harbor. For environmental reasons they decided that wasn't a good idea, probably because the brine we use to rot rocker panels out here is so caustic. I found this out first hand when I was forced to pull over to clear pack snow from my rear wheel that was causing a vibration on the highway, and to do so I placed my hand on the blacktop. Spent the next two days having my hand burn and the skin became dry, red and irritated.

I moisturized and moisturized to no avail.

With all the salt the DOT uses up North it is a miracle anything will grow anywhere near the roadside. We use saltwater with a little dishwashing detergent in some of the medical offices we run to kill weeds trying to avoid Roundup .