Could this be the rear main seal?

Brittany

I have a 98 tj 4.0l that every four or five days is just about empty of oil. It leaves no oil marks on the ground and definitely smells of burning oil when it’s running. I was thinking the rear main seal might be leaking but considering it’s not leaving any marks would that indicate it could be somewhere else?

IF there are no stains left on the pavement beneath your Jeep then it's being used by the engine.
While the engine is running is there a noticeable bluish color in the exhaust ?
It's either being drawn in thru the valve guides or the piston rings.

IF there are no stains left on the pavement beneath your Jeep then it's being used by the engine.
While the engine is running is there a noticeable bluish color in the exhaust ?
It's either being drawn in thru the valve guides or the piston rings.
No there isn’t it’ll just smoke alittle white smoke sometimes

Rub your finger around the end of your tail pipe and see if you have sooty residue. If so, it's burning oil. But I must say that is a lot of oil to be loosing without any signs of dripping on the ground.

My fist sentence just doesn't sound right, but I don't know how to describe it any better! Sorry bout that! ;)

Since you said there are no signs in the exhaust of it being burned; out of curiosity... Is there milk chocolate in your radiator coolant?
No my coolant is fine it does get low every week or so though and is does occasionally have some white smoke from the exhaust

IF your coolant goes low every week or so and there is the occasional white smoke; the white smoke may actually be steam from the coolant being burned in the combustion chamber. There is the possibility of a leaking head gasket.
You should have a cooling system pressure check done where they pressurize the system and watch to see if it holds pressure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daryl and Tomcat