Cross Country LJ?

Shank

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Primarily doing this for my sake as everything I’ve done is very boring and simple to this point, but there are plans…..

I was in my sophomore year of college and my $1,000 Chevy Cavalier was showing signs of slowing down. I’ve always had issues where I struggle to buy something that is going to depreciate like crazy. I decide I should daily drive an LJ

I find this Red 2006 6 speed that has a couple issues but for a fair price and less than 70,000 miles. It came from Georgia 1-2 years prior to me purchasing.
IMG_5793.jpeg

IMG_5819.jpeg

Having had a TJ and frame swapping it, I was skeptical of the plastic guards. I looked underneath and it wasn’t perfect but very clean for the rust belt.

Turns out here were issues.

IMG_5825.jpeg

The rear section under the gate was caved in pretty decent and filled with bondo.

IMG_5826.jpeg

I cut this out, flattened it, welded back in, did some fill work, and spray painted . I used eastwood internal frame paint and coated the inside. It’s not the best looking but not very noticeable still to this day (7 years later, I plan to do a quality paint job on that when I fix my fender).
IMG_5833.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Granite
The more I was around this LJ the more I decided I couldn’t bring myself to drive it in the salt. I decided to nurse my cavalier along (which it did fine, only had to replace the timing chain, probably the best car I’ve owned).

I decided I needed to lift this LJ since it wasn’t really being driven.

Being in college I was what you would call - not wealthy.

I knew I wanted to buy quality stuff (and didn’t know of this forum or I probably would have made some different decisions). I fell into some takeoff with zero miles OME springs, new Bilstein shocks, and pieced the rest of the OME lift kit together. I also found some low mileage JK Rubicon wheels with Duratracs. I believe I was in the neighborhood of $1,000 for everything, not cheap but very reasonable considering. I also found a local LJ hardtop with no back window for $250. I had to jump and I replaced the window. I also added OEM Rubicon rocker guards.
IMG_2573.jpeg

For some reason I saw it fit to make JK Rubicon Hard Rock bumpers work on a TJ.

IMG_4737.jpeg

IMG_4695.jpeg

IMG_7315.jpeg

IMG_8008.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Danarch
Now for the current,

I am most of the way through making modern Grand Cherokee calipers fit early YJ knuckles to upgrade the brakes. With this, I am at a bit of a loss.

I am going to do ZJ tie rods, new Dana/Spicer ball joints, new axle U joints, new UCA’s (I am running a newer set of lowers).

I am trying to determine if I want to do adjustable UCA’s now and start to plan for eventually 35’s or wait.

Also, the project sometime after the brakes when I get enough house and family stuff done:

IMG_8010.jpeg

1705668013388.png

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/diy-big-brakes.68658/

Later last year I completed the brakes. Stopping power is way improved. I am sure eventually it will eat away at me and I'll have to source mrblaine's kit just to get better knuckles. I did new ball joints, ZJ tie rods and this spring need to throw my Antirock and uca's on.

The overall goal is still to pull a 2,000lb trailer with the ability to go cross country. I have a fair amount to complete until this is feasible. I am realistically going to need to complete step 1 by Summer of 2025:

Step 1: The bare minimum to have a functioning reliable jeep that should be able to do mild stuff (nothing harder than something like the Alpine Loop).
- 4.56 Gears: I don't see pulling a trailer with stock 3.73's as feasible. If I have to I will use the 4Runner initially.
- Lockers: If I'm going to do gears I may as well do lockers - thinking ARB Air with mini pump
-Axle Shafts: Future proof for LS Swap, Revolution.

I'd like to think this will hold up to a very mild 5.3 quite well, who knows maybe with new gears I won't even feel the need to swap :rolleyes:

Step 2: LS Swap - the reality is I can't imagine it being a blast to take the 4.0 across country towing something.
- 5.3: I tore into the one on the engine stand above. Haven't mic'd anything but I haven't seen anything crazy alarming. Probably refresh it but temptation will be there to find a fresh block and go all in (still not looking to exceed low 300hp).
- Transmission: I have another thread on this. I've been having crazy ideas from TR6060, AISIN D478 with custom adapter, TR4050 (pricey) or the good old AX15.
- Transfer Case: Planning to run the 231 but an Atlas or 241 aren't obscenely expensive.....
- Obviously all the supporting components for LS Swap. I have a list and a good idea what this will take plus a good friend who has done an LS2 LJ.

Step 2.5?: With the obvious need of new driveshafts it begs the question....
- Mid Arm: I could well buy the kit or my buddy actually designed and built his own setup on his LS2 LJ with success. With this I'd like to up the lift to the 4" or so range - at the very least I'd like to throw 3/4" spacers on soon for the intermediate time.

Reactions: THREE-D
My cross country 2025 trip may be becoming a reality soon with planning going to have to take place in the next month or two.

With this if I decide to take the LJ and not the 4Runner I need to complete step 1 above. I also would like to do a few other things as 2-1/2" lift is not ideal for 33's. The reality is we likely won't do much worse than dirt roads on this trip.

Currently have:
2.5" (ish) OME Springs
Bilstein Shocks (I will be replacing)
New front stock track bar
Rear track bar bracket
ZJ steering

What I would like to add:
Adjustable front and rear track bars
New rear control arms (stock ideally?)
3/4" spacers
Shocks for this height
New PS Pump
New Belt/tensioners
New TC Fluid
New rear brake hoses
Transfer Case Cable

Question is will 3-1/2" or so on an LJ require adjustable control arms and SYE? I don't plan to do anything but what is listed above.

Edit:
I suppose if I search I can find my answer.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/a-beginners-guide-to-lifting-your-jeep-wrangler-tj.733/

Last edited: