Cruise control not working on 2004 TJ Rubicon

Jeff Allan

TJ Enthusiast
Light comes on, but when I hit "set" the and gas pedal seized up and the speed dropped abruptly. Kinda scary at 80 mph on the freeway. It hit it off, and everything went normal.

I did a search and there's a million things that affect the cc. Hopefully someone can help me narrow it down with the gas pedal/speed freezing up, symptoms.

It's either a vacuum leak or a bad solenoid, but I'd start with the vacuum leak, as that's almost always what it is.

Reactions: Jeff Allan
It's either a vacuum leak or a bad solenoid, but I'd start with the vacuum leak, as that's almost always what it is.
WTJF to the rescue once again. A quick search lead me to this thread!

What a time saver (and waster if need be!) this place is.

After replacing the radiator fan clutch, thought I'd try to figure out why the cruise control stopped working after the last outing.

Here's what I found:
Boot fell off the vacuum port. Oddly drove for 75 miles....no check engine light.
IMG_6134.jpeg

WTJF to the rescue once again. A quick search lead me to this thread!

What a time saver (and waster if need be!) this place is.

After replacing the radiator fan clutch, thought I'd try to figure out why the cruise control stopped working after the last outing.

Here's what I found:
Boot fell off the vacuum port. Oddly drove for 75 miles....no check engine light.
View attachment 151894

Great find! At least that one was a bit more obvious. Sometimes all it takes is a tiny little crack in a vacuum hose, which is enough to cause the cruise control (or other things) not to work.

Those ones can of course be much trickier to find, hence the reason I always suggest a smoke test.