Dana 44 question

At 174K miles I would say that there is a zero chance that an un-rebuilt Trac Lok would still be functional. If a better LS device or lockers are not in your budget at this time, your options are to rebuild the Trac Lok or continue with the open differential. Rebuilding is fairly simple and inexpensive.

Reactions: DCB
Yukon makes a replacement clutch pak for about $79. I replaced mine when I re-geared. PITA.

At 174K miles I would say that there is a zero chance that an un-rebuilt Trac Lok would still be functional. If a better LS device or lockers are not in your budget at this time, your options are to rebuild the Trac Lok or continue with the open differential. Rebuilding is fairly simple and inexpensive.
No requirement to rebuild the Tracloc, he can install new bearings etc. with the Tracloc carrier remaining in place with its worn-out clutch pack. Even when a new clutch pack is in place it doesn't work all that well, especially when compared with the much better performing Detroit Truetrac limited slip differential.

Last edited:
It is making sounds.
Open it up and spin the driveshaft & tires to look the gears over. If the gears don't have obvious problems like broken off gear teeth, odds are you just need new carrier and pinion shaft bearings. That's not an expensive job. Just take it to a 4x4 shop that regears axles and tell them you want new bearings in the axle. There are only four bearings... two on the pinion shaft and two on the carrier. Bearings aren't expensive, it's just the labor you're mainly paying for. A couple hours of labor should do it.

Don't take it to a commercial axle shop, those guys are used to seeing non-gearhead type people in a panic prepared to pay big $$$ since they don't know anything about what needs to be done.

I was going to have the guy do it who is going to be doing some work on my clutch.

From what I have seen, the clutch pack is around $200 plus fluids.

It's a basic job to pull the cover and give it a look over. It will be obvious if anything is broken off. If it looks fine, you could be looking at a bearing and seal job. You may as well have the clutch pack replaced since you are in there.

What noise is it making?