Dana 30 Rebuild - Upgrade suggestions

Like2Build

'03 TJ - 2.4L - 5speed NV1550 manual

I recently found a significantly leaking pinion seal and gear lube dripping out the passenger axle tube. Thinking I'd re-seal in the near future I decided to top off the pumpkin with more lube to avoid running low. As I slightly overfilled the gear oil that came out the hole had a wonderful shimmer, almost like the sequin on a prom queen's dress :cry: So what was going to be a reseal job looks like it will be a complete rebuild of the axle.

Assuming my ring and pinion gears and axle shafts are okay I'm basically looking at a master rebuilt kit which I've found several of those for under $150. I'm open to suggestions if there are certain brands to avoid or one that just really stands out.

The next thought is upgrades. The open diff Dana 35 in the rear is staying stock (don't wanna go boom) but I'd like to lock up the front in some way to maximize traction. I've toyed with the idea of installing a lunchbox locker and if I have to do a complete rebuild now is the time. Are there any strong opinions on the different brands: Aussie, Lock-Rite, Spartan? :unsure: They're all about the same price so I'd like to hear personal examples of good and bad. I'm most concerned about the reliability, functionality off road, and behavior on pavement.

I also have access to a Dana 30 that came out of an '02 WJ Overland which had a Limited Slip differential. Would anyone know if that diff would be compatible with my front axle? They're both 27-spline but the WJ might be a high pinion and I don't know if that makes a difference. I'd have to use my ring gear because I have 4.10 and the WJ Overland was 3.73. I don't do any heavy wheeling so an LS diff might be fine. I've read a bunch of info on both LS and locker diffs but I'm all ears if you have pros or cons for either one.

Thanks, and I look forward to your ideas and suggestions.

KJ

Open the diff and take a look at the bearings and ring and pinion gears before you assume you need a complete rebuild. If you need to rebuild, at this point in the manufacturing and transportation train wreck, you may just get whatever kit you can get.

For front locker, I use the PowerTrax No Slip. I’ve had it for 4 years and no problems. It’s invisible in 2wd. It’s a little more expensive than the others, but worth it IMO.

Others have recently praised the Loc-Rite.

I'm running an Aussie Locker in my TJ's Dana 30 (since about 2008). Invisible in 2WD, awesome in 4WD. Running a Lock-Right in the Dana 25 in the front of my Willys with no issues either. They both do the same thing.

I'm also running a Detroit True Trac in the Dana 44 in the front of my 96 Dodge Ram 1500. Been very happy with it. Also invisible in 2WD.