Dana 30 to 44 swap

Jackson S

So i want to swap the front axel of my tj from a dana 30 open diff to a dana 44 limited slip diff. what are the things i need to know, how complicated is the swap. also the 44 i believe has a 3.07 gearing, so what is the gearing of the dana 30 at rear so i know what i need to do. I believe the axel is stock on the rear. Does having a limited slip up the front cause any problems?

So i want to swap the front axel of my tj from a dana 30 open diff to a dana 44 limited slip diff. what are the things i need to know, how complicated is the swap. also the 44 i believe has a 3.07 gearing, so what is the gearing of the dana 30 at rear so i know what i need to do. I believe the axel is stock on the rear. Does having a limited slip up the front cause any problems?

All of this information is based on the axle not being a tj Dana 44. If it’s off of a tj somehow all that’s needed is a new custom driveshaft everything else will directly bolt up. So limited slip will not cause any problems and you will not even notice it up front. Limited slip uses clutch packs to put pressure on the spinning side to help get the non spinning tire to spin. And it depends what Dana 44 you are using. jk44, 70s ford Dana 44… your options are endless. You are going to need a custom drive shaft and make sure they will fit your pinion yoke and the yoke coming off your transfer case. Next you will need to figure out your linkage. If you are not using a tj 44 then you will either need to do custom 3 link, get a truss that re uses the factory links then your control arms you have right now will work, or get a truss for a 3 link front and you will have to make your own linkage. Next you will need to figure out if you want coil springs or coilovers. If you go coil springs you will need to weld new coil buckets on to the axle. Then you will need to weld shock mounts onto the axle. If you want coilovers you will need to buy mounts and cut the frame then weld them in then weld mounts onto the axle. Next will be steering, you will need to make some sort of custom steering which is not to challenging Barnes sells everything you will need to do that. Just watch some videos on YouTube and you can figure it out.
Then finally for the re gear, if you are running bigger tires then factory you should re gear both axles, read up on what gearing to use for your tire size then regear both axles to that.
This is everything I can think off of the top of my head. It sounds like A LOT of work but if you can weld then it will be pretty straightforward. Best of luck

All of this information is based on the axle not being a tj Dana 44. If it’s off of a tj somehow all that’s needed is a new custom driveshaft everything else will directly bolt up. So limited slip will not cause any problems and you will not even notice it up front. Limited slip uses clutch packs to put pressure on the spinning side to help get the non spinning tire to spin. And it depends what Dana 44 you are using. jk44, 70s ford Dana 44… your options are endless. You are going to need a custom drive shaft and make sure they will fit your pinion yoke and the yoke coming off your transfer case. Next you will need to figure out your linkage. If you are not using a tj 44 then you will either need to do custom 3 link, get a truss that re uses the factory links then your control arms you have right now will work, or get a truss for a 3 link front and you will have to make your own linkage. Next you will need to figure out if you want coil springs or coilovers. If you go coil springs you will need to weld new coil buckets on to the axle. Then you will need to weld shock mounts onto the axle. If you want coilovers you will need to buy mounts and cut the frame then weld them in then weld mounts onto the axle. Next will be steering, you will need to make some sort of custom steering which is not to challenging Barnes sells everything you will need to do that. Just watch some videos on YouTube and you can figure it out.
Then finally for the re gear, if you are running bigger tires then factory you should re gear both axles, read up on what gearing to use for your tire size then regear both axles to that.
This is everything I can think off of the top of my head. It sounds like A LOT of work but if you can weld then it will be pretty straightforward. Best of luck

im pretty sure it comes off a tj, and whats the gearing on a stock tj. i have 32 inch tyres.

whats the gearing on a stock tj.

There's several stock gearing options. You need to check the diff tag for your specific gearing. (3.73 pictured) Front Dana 44 axles from a TJ Rubicon are 4.10.
gear tag3.jpg

im pretty sure it comes off a tj, and whats the gearing on a stock tj. i have 32 inch tyres.

If it’s a tj dana 44 front, it will most likely have 4.10 gearing since it came out of a rubicon. Your rear axle would be a dana 35, not a 30. The Dana 30 is only a front axle. But you may have a dana 44 rear, depending on your Jeep.

What are you trying to accomplish here?

Stock tj gearing: 3.07, 3.55, 3.73, 4.10(rubicon, or 4 cylinder only)

I believe I got them all.

If you don't have them yet, I'm going to be selling by front and rear 44's from my Rubicon. 5.13 gears. Should be in about 14 weeks...

Limited slip in a Dana 44 front axle, Dana 30 at rear? Just because you found an ad that says Dana 44 front axle does not mean it'll be anywhere close to fitting your Jeep without a huge amount of work including welding on new brackets. Sounds like you need to spend a little more time researching what you've got, what you want and what fits. With coil springs you generally are limited to stock TJ axles unless you do allot of custom work.

the axel is 3.07 gearing lsd off a tj
Limited slip in a Dana 44 front axle, Dana 30 at rear? Just because you found an ad that says Dana 44 front axle does not mean it'll be anywhere close to fitting your Jeep without a huge amount of work including welding on new brackets. Sounds like you need to spend a little more time researching what you've got, what you want and what fits. With coil springs you generally are limited to stock TJ axles unless you do allot of custom work.

If it’s a tj dana 44 front, it will most likely have 4.10 gearing since it came out of a rubicon. Your rear axle would be a dana 35, not a 30. The Dana 30 is only a front axle. But you may have a dana 44 rear, depending on your Jeep.

What are you trying to accomplish here?

do they sell rubicons in australia? it says 3.07 gearing and also how do i know the condition of it because it looks pretty bad.

You might post up a pic or link to the add to help get a positive ID on that axle. If it is a front Dana 44 from a TJ/LJ, then it came from a Rubicon and had 4.10 gears stock and it would have had a locker in it, not limited slip. If it came from a TJ/LJ and has 3.07 gears, then it is a Dana 30 like you already have. You need to determine what gears you have already because your front and rear need to match. if they don't match, the first time you put your Jeep in 4 wheel drive, your transfer case and or drive lines and or differentials will destroy themselves. Overall, it sounds like someone is confused on what they are trying to sell, or they have really screwed with it.