Dash wires cut, Jeep won't pass smog: Is this normal?

You followed the Black with Light Green wire from the connectors to that "dead end"? One way to make sure the IC ground is good it to check resistance or continuity between the Black and Light Green wire and the chassis. If it shows open then that might be the issue as both the Check Engine and Check Gauge lights as illuminated by being grounded VIA a transistor in the IC circuitry. If that ground is missing the light cannot illuminate.

IF the ground is good then it seems to be pointing to an IC issue, have the Check Engine and Check Gauge lights ever worked since you have owned it?
I would hate to spend ~100.00 bucks on an IC and that not be the problem. Do you know of someone that has a similar jeep you could swap IC's with to see if the light work?
I traced the wire and it's grounded. I just ordered a new IC programmed to my VIN and miles. If that doesn't fix it I'll move to the wiring harness. I'm not good with electrical and don't know anyone with a TJ. Just bought this and the check engine light never worked. I usually just look to see if it's not on.

I own a 2004 so the wiring is not the same. But when I bought my TJ I had no check engine light (did not illuminate when key turned to “on”). On mine there was a blown fuse on the panel under the right side dash interior. #5 I believe. Of course your 99 is different but check to see if you have any blown fuses.

When I replaced my fuse I got a check engine light immediately having to do with a sensor. LOL.

You followed the Black with Light Green wire from the connectors to that "dead end"? One way to make sure the IC ground is good it to check resistance or continuity between the Black and Light Green wire and the chassis. If it shows open then that might be the issue as both the Check Engine and Check Gauge lights as illuminated by being grounded VIA a transistor in the IC circuitry. If that ground is missing the light cannot illuminate.

IF the ground is good then it seems to be pointing to an IC issue, have the Check Engine and Check Gauge lights ever worked since you have owned it?
I would hate to spend ~100.00 bucks on an IC and that not be the problem. Do you know of someone that has a similar jeep you could swap IC's with to see if the light work?
I traced the wire and it's grounded. I just ordered a new IC programmed to my VIN and miles. If that doesn't fix it I'll move to the wiring harness. I'm not good with electrical and don't know anyone with a TJ. Just bought this and the check engine light never worked. I usually just look to see if it's not on
Good call, OP do a fuse check for sure just to be sure
I checked all the fuses before taking the IC off. All were fine so I'm hoping it's the IC. Found one on eBay that will be programmed to my milage and Vin # for $85. I'll let you know if that works when I receive it in a week.

Reactions: John Scoggins
John you were right the instrument cluster was bad, got a new one and all the lights came on that didn't before like Air bag, check Gages, check engine. Finally I can pass smog and get it registered. Thank you

That's great news, I really thought it was going to be related to those wires... The PO must have gotten in there at some point to do some rearranging I guess. IC was a much better option than chasing wires!

Reactions: billiebob
John you were right the instrument cluster was bad, got a new one and all the lights came on that didn't before like Air bag, check Gages, check engine. Finally I can pass smog and get it registered. Thank you

Great News man