Dashboard and Gauges not working (2005TJ Sport)

NewGirlJess

Hello! I have a 2005 TJ Sport that is having dash issues. When I turn it on the dash will either blink on and off before coming alive, or not work at all. The speedometer, fuel gauge, RPMs and odometer are all effected BUT the blinkers and head light indicators are not. It seems to work after I let the car run, turn it off and back on again. I just bought this TJ in June 2021 and this issue started to occur a few months after. I also noticed that the headlight indicator is always on, whether the lights are on or not, and there are after market fog lights that aren’t plugged in (no switch for them installed either). When you plug in the fog lights, the headlights won’t turn off unless you put the brights on… not sure if these issues are related! Any advice, or knowledge of similar issues, would be much appreciated!

Hello! I have a 2005 TJ Sport that is having dash issues. When I turn it on the dash will either blink on and off before coming alive, or not work at all. The speedometer, fuel gauge, RPMs and odometer are all effected BUT the blinkers and head light indicators are not. It seems to work after I let the car run, turn it off and back on again. I just bought this TJ in June 2021 and this issue started to occur a few months after. I also noticed that the headlight indicator is always on, whether the lights are on or not, and there are after market fog lights that aren’t plugged in (no switch for them installed either). When you plug in the fog lights, the headlights won’t turn off unless you put the brights on… not sure if these issues are related! Any advice, or knowledge of similar issues, would be much appreciated!
Welcome to the forum.

As to the dash the simplest approach would be to remove the gauge cluster and clean the contacts. As you pull the cluster out there are pin contacts that self align and connect to the harness and sometime they need a very slight bend or tweek to improve contact.

There are shop manuals free to download in the Resource section that will give you all the details you need to remove the dash cluster.