Death Wobble after Teraflex 3 inch lift

TJ Hulk

So I installed a teraflex 3 inch lift with shocks on my 2006 Tj. After install and alignment, I have death wobble very bad around 49-51 miles an hour. Prior to the lift I had a slight wobble at 55 but could push through just fine (maybe due to losing a wheel weight?) nothing too major. Now it is full on death wobble and I have no clue where to even begin with diagnosis. Tires balanced? Track bar? Drag link? New steering bolts? Any help and advice on what I should do to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

The first place to start is always the track bar. Make sure the bolts are torqued properly on the track bar.

Also, do you know the difference between death wobble and vibrations? Just making sure, since many, many people think they are experiencing death wobble, when in reality it's just vibrations.

They are two completely different things.

The first place to start is always the track bar. Make sure the bolts are torqued properly on the track bar.

Also, do you know the difference between death wobble and vibrations? Just making sure, since many, many people think they are experiencing death wobble, when in reality it's just vibrations.

They are two completely different things.
I hear you. It is definitely death wobble because the steering wheel shifts left and right like crazy and can barely hold on.

How old are your tires? What condition are they in? When was the last time they were balanced? Oversized tires are often difficult to balance and need to be done over and over until they are right. Good enough isnt good enough with our TJs-the balance meeds to be spot on. Tires are the first place to look when experiencing death wobble. Chris is right about the trac bar, but DW can be a compounding of issues.

Reactions: rasband
If it is speed specific , that means at a certain speed the tires are out of balance , a rim is warped , or a tire is low ...that it starts the oscillation to a degree it overpowers the vehicles inherent tracking ability .

This is being caused by the same issue that caused it to do it at 55.. but now it does it worse , at a lower speed , because something changed during the lift ...and if you do a dry test of the steering , you will find a loose connection ...and most likely that will be the track bar at one or both ends ...but it could be other things they failed to tighten .

So you have a pre existing tire issue that is amplified by a now loose component to the point it is death wobble . Totally fixable.

I was looking at what the Teraflex 3" lift w/shocks is comprised of...
As previously posted... the first place to check after an accurate tire balance is confirmed would be the trac bar.
I see the kit does not include a new adjustable trac bar so you have reused the original OEM trac bar.
Check the trac bar axle end bushing condition and ensure the bolt is tight then verify the tie rod end is not loose indicating it needs to be replaced.