Death wobble so bad caused a transmission leak...

Shane Mckinley

Zipman35
Supporting Member
So I’ve had this intermittent death wobble then I have text three times

1) steering stabilizer (learned quick that wasn’t it when I first got the Jeep joining here)

2) steering components and upper/lower ball joints (corrected until tires wore bad which started again)

3) rotated tires and it was fine for another month or two

Well it started again and I just haven’t had the time to check the track bar. Well it shook so bad this morning I guess it knocked something loose or something. I haven’t had a chance to look at it yet I had to have my wife come get me and take me to work and obviously just covered in transmission fluid smoke all over the place so I managed to get it home.

I don’t have the time to do it myself. I’m assuming it is the cooling lines. I hd a previous leak that just sort of quit leaking and I have not addressed that.

My question is do I see if fluid will hold and get it to the transmission shop IF it’ll
hold

Anyone experience anything like this before or have any other suggestions?

I can’t seem to find a parts store locally that has the lines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi

No, don't drive it the way it is. You need to have it towed.

If there is transmission fluid all over the floor and everything, you've got a massive leak.

Drive it like that, and your transmission will go BOOM... guarantee it.

Check your auto insurance policy for free towing. Most insurance policies have a free towing/roadside assistance option that will tow close by if your vehicle is disabled. Some will pay for the towing to the closest shop, some pay for towing to a shop of your choosing in the closest city to where you are, and some tow within X miles of your current location.

Reactions: Chris
Thanks! I had plans to see if it would hold fluid and maybe try to get it to the shop but my guess is whatever got knocked loose or broke is going to keep it from holding fluid

2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi

The shop fixed the leak $80. Also have an overheating issue they are looking into that happened the day before the leak occurred. I’m hoping they listen to me about not putting 155° thermostat in.

2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi

Reactions: Dawghouse
Likely the track bar.

In my case though, I had replaced the track bar & control arms (All Currie). Wasn't until using Currie's weld on piece (Upper passenger) because stock hole wallowed just enough allowing oscillation.

Likely the track bar.

In my case though, I had replaced the track bar & control arms (All Currie). Wasn't until using Currie's weld on piece (Upper passenger) because stock hole wallowed just enough allowing oscillation.

That was the one component I had failed
To check up front. That’s on my list as soon as I get it back

2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi

And now they called me and finally narrowed it all down after the flush and thermostat:... damn crack in the radiator

Bill just doubled [emoji849]

2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi