Derale transmission cooler alternate locations?

RD3

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have the Derale in my 2003 tj and its done a great job. Problem I'm doing a 4-link long arm stretch in the rear and it's going to be in the way. At least it looks like it. Has anyone found an alternate location for it? I really want to keep it.

I'm assuming you're referring to the Derale version that mounts to the driver's side frame just behind the transfer case. That's the one I have. With a little hose work and bracket work, I believe you could locate it back and higher into the tub just ahead of the rear axle, but you'd have to abandon the frame mount.

I have an air tank in the location that their kit goes. I bought the cooler and fabbed my own brackets to put it under the tub but further back, mine is mounted directly below the back seat. Mine is an LJ so I may have more room to play with.

Reactions: RD3 and LJBean
Even with a 4-link, there should still be room to mount it under there, no question about it.

Reactions: RD3
I have an air tank in the location that their kit goes. I bought the cooler and fabbed my own brackets to put it under the tub but further back, mine is mounted directly below the back seat. Mine is an LJ so I may have more room to play with.

I'm thinking about moving mine back too. Plenty of room on the LJ.
Got any pictures?