Detroit front and rear driving characteristics

mattcogdell

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I've been on the hunt for an LJ for quite some time now. Yesterday I went to look at one that had detroit lockers front and rear. I have read the lockers do make strange sounds at times. That of which I am not concerned about. During the test drive up the highway, each time I shifted gears (let off the gas) the jeep tried to pull to one side of the highway. I thought this maybe do to, unequally inflated tires or poor alignment, maybe the combination of both? After some further reading, I have found that the "pull" is pretty common among the rear detroit, unlocking and relocking.

Many owners say you adapt to driving with detroits and after some time do not notice it. I however wonder if the pulling to one side is something that will always happen and I get use to it or is there a way to drive a manual without it doing that with a detroit in the rear?

I had a Detroit in the rear of my TJ for about 5 years and I don't remember it pulling to one side. It will try to push you in a straight line because the two axles/wheels are locked together until it is unlocking.

My gf had to drive my TJ for a short time and she would have problems when shifting but it wasn't it pulling to one side. I'd say get the alignment checked and make sure it is tracking straight. If it has a lift kit the axles may not be square to the body/frame.

Reactions: mattcogdell
I've been on the hunt for an LJ for quite some time now. Yesterday I went to look at one that had detroit lockers front and rear. I have read the lockers do make strange sounds at times. That of which I am not concerned about. During the test drive up the highway, each time I shifted gears (let off the gas) the jeep tried to pull to one side of the highway. I thought this maybe do to, unequally inflated tires or poor alignment, maybe the combination of both? After some further reading, I have found that the "pull" is pretty common among the rear detroit, unlocking and relocking.

Many owners say you adapt to driving with detroits and after some time do not notice it. I however wonder if the pulling to one side is something that will always happen and I get use to it or is there a way to drive a manual without it doing that with a detroit in the rear?

You are correct with your assumptions about the load/unload while shifting. The only comment I can make would be to check to see if the rear brakes are dragging which could cause a similar problem to when rear tires are not inflated the same.

I have a Detroit in my rear, and it only behaves oddly if my tire pressures aren't even. A few PSI off side to side will make them herky-jerky. Other than that, if you don't gas it around corners on pavement, you'll never know they're their. When off-road, they're amazing!

A full locker is sensitive to tire equality. Either through air pressure or wear. If uneven on one or both counts, you'll experience the pull you felt.

If it's the LJ you want then I wouldn't worry about the lockers. You can probably easily fix the pulling with alignment. Worse case replace them and sell for a profit.

I'd be more concerned with a full time locking diff in the front axle, if you are going to street drive it every day, that's where the locking and unlocking could cause some weird handling issues

Not in 2wd
Exactly. When in 2wd with a TJ there is no torque being passed through a front locker so it isn't an issue on the street. I drove with automatic lockers in both axles for nearly ten years and my front locker was unnoticeable when in 2wd.

Exactly. When in 2wd there is no torque being passed through a front locker so it isn't an issue on the street. I drove with automatic lockers in both axles for nearly ten years and my front locker was unnoticeable when in 2wd.

you west coast guys forget what it like driving in inclement weather...you don't always get to drive in 2wd...hopefully now that I've relocated to AZ I'll forget too :p

OP buy the LJ if its the one you want or a great deal. You will get used to the Locker, or you will remove it as mentioned and switch to selectable.

If it's just raining we should not be using 4x4 in our Wranglers.

I'm sure he means Ice/snow. I'm sure you already know about snowy roads(not being a smart-ass). But the locker in a front diff can make 4hi on snowy roads a little sketchy steering wise, but not un-driveable.

I have had several Jeeps and Chevys with locked front diffs and drove around on the snowy streets of Montana and Idaho in 4hi, I just slowed way down and eased on and off the gas. And took it out of 4HI as soon as possible.

Montana isn't the East coast as far as heavy traffic in snowy season I guess...

But yes, an auto-locker is invisible in 2WD in a TJ on the street.

The OP appears to be in Tennessee so I don't think he will see heavy snow!