Diamond plate rocker panel fabrication

I’m definitely not an engineer, but sometimes I think, “I could do that!” Then, I get partway into a job, and I’m totally over my head. After I bought my 2003 TJ, there’s so much room under the hood (AND I BOUGHT A HOUSE WITH A GARAGE THAT HAS A MECHANICS PIT [emoji1346]‍♂️) I’ve been watching videos and have replaced starter, water pump, shocks, did a body lift and Novak cable shifter. Now, I want to fabricate and install diamond plate rocker panels. I’ve got the basic premise but am seeking any tips, hints, warnings, videos you can share. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: FireJeep
Are you looking for real protection or just looks?

I don’t do any hardcore crawling etc... Mostly FSR, dirt, gravel roads, slight inclines with some rock shelves. I need just low level protection. I see a lot of minor dings and scratches from blow back since my tires protrude outside of my fender flares. I read mostly negative reviews of the Rugged Ridge armor. I thought if I were to use .025 aluminum diamond plate cut to fit from flare to flare that’d offer better protection.

Last edited:
For simple protection check out this EBay seller. https://www.ebay.com/usr/pbrproducts23 I use them on mine, look good, nice quality, reasonably priced, they cover from flare to flare.
5T3GWw1LAcrA7YK64em4niJ5zSMRvf-FpZGYJSQuQOXFH2bCv-90Uf0nBpxrWGD4Ly2_Mxe1ISmJvTaORQ=w1133-h637-no.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I did, you can't really see it in that pic. That was the main reason for the rocker panels, to cover holes. Here is an older pic...
3y_gv9g6ts5hVyMum8Or7wkE123FrTvMnYk2HpJ7THU0baF9TtO8S400ZIgDVSg4XVQvOKb8vgH_JnxNBk=w1133-h637-no.jpg

No reason why you can't build your own. There can be real satisfaction from that, and you can learn skills as you go. The hard way sometimes, but skills learned none the less. I remind myself that I work cheap, that helps when I figure up the hours involved. If you can get someone with a brake that can bend the aluminum for you without cracking it you could end up with a nice pair. I went to a livestock trailer manufacturer to bend the ones I made for a Bronco I had back in the 70's and the bend cracked in several areas. To salvage the project I had him heliarc down the corner, looked a bit rough but stood up to a lot of abuse.
Best of luck,

B

End result: $20 worth of Aluminum Diamond Plate, self tapping sheet metal screws with rubber grommets, a can of rubberized undercoating, and silicone adhesive...BOOM [emoji95]
a051fc84a50b0aaff8e0420f9452a002.jpg

Reactions: KCsTJ
Looks like you got your project finished already, but I was going to suggest looking for some Rubicon rockers. They are diamond plate, go flare go flare, and probably pretty cheap on eBay or from a salvage yard.