Did the side marker patch cable and still no bueno

Jdmilo1

Hello again all. I’m on the verge of giving up on the LED front turn signals and sidemarker lights that I’ve installed on my 2002 tj.
Here’s the lights that I’m trying to install.

https://a.co/d/0jiDDUK5

I completed the side marker patch cable per steel city’s directions I found on the forum and I’m still having issues.

Headlights on
All lights light up put nothing blinks when the stalk is activated.
Get 2 arrows on the gauge cluster.

Headlights off
All lights blink(except the headlights) as if the hazards are on.

Installed halogen bulbs back in the front turns and side marker bulb sockets and everything works perfectly.

I’m using a LM470 flasher and LEd headlights and taillights as well.

Any ideas??
I hate to give up and throw away $$

Thanks
John

As I've said on other threads and others have found out LM470 doesn't work on 2001-2006 TJs. Use this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LC4DMS1?tag=wranglerorg-20

Thanks Rubiconned.
Before I throw another $30 at these damn lights and officially make them the most expensive LED lights, do you know what exactly is happening in my scenario? Why after doing the patch cables do I still have the issues? Also why does everything work fine with the rear LED assemblies and incandescent bulbs in the front/fender assemblies?

Finally what does the GCD flasher do different than the LM470 or the EP27 that I tried previously?

Thanks again for your help
John

Thanks Rubiconned.
Before I throw another $30 at these damn lights and officially make them the most expensive LED lights, do you know what exactly is happening in my scenario? Why after doing the patch cables do I still have the issues? Also why does everything work fine with the rear LED assemblies and incandescent bulbs in the front/fender assemblies?

Finally what does the GCD flasher do different than the LM470 or the EP27 that I tried previously?

Thanks again for your help
John

I don't know the answer to your questions, but you should try the GCD. If it doesn't work then return it to Amazon for free.

Also why does everything work fine with the rear LED assemblies and incandescent bulbs in the front/fender assemblies?

I don't have all the answers, but the front lights work differently.
They use a floating ground.
IIRC, this causes the front & marker light to flash together when the lights are off and flash alternately when the lights are on.
LEDs don't like that because they are polarized.

I don't have all the answers, but the front lights work differently.
They use a floating ground.
IIRC, this causes the front & marker light to flash together when the lights are off and flash alternately when the lights are on.
LEDs don't like that because they are polarized.

The fronts are a floating ground, but that’s exactly why he made the patch cable harness he mentioned. That is to get around the floating ground problem and make things work for led. I can’t come up with a reason why both sides are flashing together unless something was miswired somehow…which wouldn’t make much sense since things go back to normal when the incandescents are reinstalled.

LM470 is supposed to be used on 01-06, while Novita EP26 is for 97-00. Gold Coast is a crappier, more hit or miss version of an LM470 application.
Many, including myself, only had success with with GCD after trying the Novita LM470 which didn't work.

CharlesHS said:
Rubiconned;

Thanks for the heads up on the Offroad flasher relay; which DID cure the Flasher Relay buzzing problem when the Emergency Flashers are ON.
I installed that relay since I exhausted ALL avenues of troubleshooting including the installation of (2) LM470 relays which did not cure my problem.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/buzzing-emergency-relay.77710/

Many, including myself, only had success with with GCD after trying the Novita LM470 which didn't work.

CharlesHS said:
Rubiconned;

Thanks for the heads up on the Offroad flasher relay; which DID cure the Flasher Relay buzzing problem when the Emergency Flashers are ON.
I installed that relay since I exhausted ALL avenues of troubleshooting including the installation of (2) LM470 relays which did not cure my problem.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/buzzing-emergency-relay.77710/

I believe you, however there are lots of people here using the LM470 for 01-06 with more success than any other option, including GCD. GCD has been around many years because that’s what savvy used to sell for their tail lights. It was questionable in performance all those years. I don’t know why yours or Charles would be outliers.

Personally, I don’t like flasher relays at all. I much prefer a stock relay and would rather add resistors to make it blink properly with the LED load.

The fronts are a floating ground, but that’s exactly why he made the patch cable harness he mentioned. That is to get around the floating ground problem and make things work for led. I can’t come up with a reason why both sides are flashing together unless something was miswired somehow…which wouldn’t make much sense since things go back to normal when the incandescents are reinstalled.

I don't know about LED turn signals or patch cables.
I was only answering his question about why the rear lights work differently than the fronts.

I believe you, however there are lots of people here using the LM470 for 01-06 with more success than any other option, including GCD. GCD has been around many years because that’s what savvy used to sell for their tail lights. It was questionable in performance all those years. I don’t know why yours or Charles would be outliers.
Could be quality control. Maybe Novita LM470 has gotten worse and GCD has gotten better (outstanding Amazon ratings and reviews)