Dies within 20 seconds with loud clicking from injectors and engine (also blew an injector fuse)

justfixedthat...

TJ Enthusiast
Stalled in the road after getting gas a few days ago. Wouldn't start back up. Towed it home. Replaced some sensors, coil pack, etc. After returning all of the sensors, I noticed the fuel injector fuse had blown. Replaced it and it started up for a few seconds but with clicking coming from the injectors (wasn't audible before) and a small rattle/ticking from the engine like it was misfiring.

No codes so far.

So, to avoid buying everything again and swapping a bunch of parts, again, what is likely causing this issue?

Thanks

Buddy your avatar name sure fits...I hate your having all these issues.

Hopefully you get to the bottom of it

Reactions: tr21triton
If you just bought gas….maybe they gave you something other than gas. I filled up one time and one mile down the road the vehicle I had at the time stopped dead. Seems they put diesel additives in the gas. Needless to say the gas station paid for the repair and a night in the hotel while I waited for my vehicle. Pull a gas sample and see what you’ve got in your tank. They may owe you some help

Reactions: AndyG
If you just bought gas….maybe they gave you something other than gas. I filled up one time and one mile down the road the vehicle I had at the time stopped dead. Seems they put diesel additives in the gas. Needless to say the gas station paid for the repair and a night in the hotel while I waited for my vehicle. Pull a gas sample and see what you’ve got in your tank. They may owe you some help

I’ve saved $27,000 in diesel repair costs by getting reciepts- got water in fuel twice- one of the occurrences turn into having to completely replace the head of a power stroke diesel.

The replacement of the injector system on every Bosch equipped diesel on the road is a minimum $10,000 right now- Contaminated fuel will do it almost instantaneously-The pressure that these systems run is unbelievable and the pumps can’t take any water or contamination and survive.

Last edited:
It was the coil pack.

This whole damn time.

I appreciate the advice about the gas. I had no idea bad gas was such a problem. A while back I installed an auxiliary external fuel filter/water separator that (once I connect it) will suck up the fuel from the tank, run it through a screw-on filter, then pump it back into the tank. Looks like a good time to connect it.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: AndyG and TJ Jim
It was the coil pack.

This whole damn time.

I appreciate the advice about the gas. I had no idea bad gas was such a problem. A while back I installed an auxiliary external fuel filter/water separator that (once I connect it) will suck up the fuel from the tank, run it through a screw-on filter, then pump it back into the tank. Looks like a good time to connect it.

Thanks guys.

If they are filling their tanks don’t buy it. All that filling stirs the junk in their tank and shares it with you. They were filling the gas station tanks when I bought the bad gas, but the tanker driver did screw up and put the winter diesel additives in the gasoline tank.

Reactions: AndyG
Well it runs great now.

Although I'm pretty sure one of the two screws for the IAC fell into the throttle body when I was replacing it. It sounds like a little screw-sized object is inside the oil sump getting knocked around.

How difficult is it going to be to get it out of there?

I don’t believe a screw can get to the oil pan via the intake.

I was just about to ask that. That was the only thing I could think of that I dropped while I was working on it.

Maybe it's not in the oil pan.

It doesn't change with the RPMs. If it were mechanical shouldn't it change with the RPMs? It sounds like something is loose in there.

Last edited: