Diff carrier case for new gears

NKlekas

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm going to re-gear my 06' (Dana 30/44) LJ from factory gears to 5.13...I have a shop that will do the labor for a reasonable price if I supply everything....Will I need a new Differential Carrier Case for the Axles? more specifically the Dana 30?

you would be smart to let the shop source the parts as any warranty work should they fail, and they do sometimes fail, would all be covered by the installer. The parts would be warranted but you would be responsible for the laor to replace them. Just sayin!

Your current gear ratio is 3.73 so you will not need a different Dana 30 carrier. The Dana 30 carrier split is between 3.55 and numerically lower, and 3.73 and numerically higher. 5.13 will be fine on your existing carrier. You will however need a new carrier for the Dana 44 for standard gears, or you can avoid the need for a replacement carrier by simply advising the shop to install "thick" gears in the rear axle which eliminates the need for a replacement carrier.

X2 to the above about having the installing shop provide ALL the parts. Don't be trying to save a few bucks by buying the parts to provide to the installing shop. Only if they provide all the parts will their warranty include everything including parts and labor. If you provided the parts their warranty would only cover their labor. And if the gears developed a problem, the installer would blame the parts you provided and the gear dealer would blame the installer. And in reality, it's the installer who gets the blame when a problem develops with the gears after after installation.

Reactions: NKlekas
Amen on the advice above.

Alternatively...I'd call Revolution Gear...get a Super 30 kit and an e-locker for the front and axles and an e-locker for the 44.

If you don't want new carriers or axels...4wP is a good supplier...they have a gear team that can set you up with a complete package.

-Mac

The carrier break for the 44 is at 3.92, so you'll need a new carrier there, or use thick cut gears.

you would be smart to let the shop source the parts as any warranty work should they fail, and they do sometimes fail, would all be covered by the installer. The parts would be warranted but you would be responsible for the laor to replace them. Just sayin!
Yea I wanted to go that direction first. But I live in a relatively small town and there’s only one shop in town that does re-gears and they only do it if you provide it. I’d have to go out of town to Salt Lake City, Reno or Boise To find a shop that would do everything. But going off of what you and what Jerry told me that seems to be the smart thing to do. So it looks like I might be making a road trip.

Your current gear ratio is 3.73 so you will not need a different Dana 30 carrier. The Dana 30 carrier split is between 3.55 and numerically lower, and 3.73 and numerically higher. 5.13 will be fine on your existing carrier. You will however need a new carrier for the Dana 44 for standard gears, or you can avoid the need for a replacement carrier by simply advising the shop to install "thick" gears in the rear axle which eliminates the need for a replacement carrier.

X2 to the above about having the installing shop provide ALL the parts. Don't be trying to save a few bucks by buying the parts to provide to the installing shop. Only if they provide all the parts will their warranty include everything including parts and labor. If you provided the parts their warranty would only cover their labor. And if the gears developed a problem, the installer would blame the parts you provided and the gear dealer would blame the installer. And in reality, it's the installer who gets the blame when a problem develops with the gears after after installation.
Ah. I had it backwards. I thought my Dana 44 would be fine but I had it wrong. Thanks Jerry I appreciate your knowledge.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford