DIY electricians

alittleoff

TJ Addict
I’m attempting a diy gfci install. My half bath only has a two wire socket, hot and neutral, out of the conduit, no ground.
What are my best options? Or my only options?
And this at our house in CA. that we are going to sell.

Last edited:
I’m attempting a diy gfci install. My half bath only has a two wire socket, hot and neutral, out of the conduit, no ground.
What are my best options?
Your box is probably metal so there should be a bare copper wire screwed to the metal housing somewhere.

I’m not sure if I can locate a junction box. The wiring is from the 40’s and then remodelEd in the 70’s.

Found and opened it up to find hot and neutral, but no ground. Still metal though.
And I know that behind the inspection plate at the breaker box, it’s all metal conduit.

So should a short length of copper wire from the ground post on the gfci to the metal socket box be the right or ok thing to do?
Since both of my plug in circuit testers are in MT. Ima go to our local Ace to buy a new one. Oh joy.

So should a short length of copper wire from the ground post on the gfci to the metal socket box be the right or ok thing to do?
Since both of my plug in circuit testers are in MT. Ima go to our local Ace to buy a new one. Oh joy.

You can fasten the the outlet ground to the box and securely fasten. All the home inspector is going to to is plug in a test plug to activate the GFCI so test it when done..

You may want to find out if they will be testing all outlets for a ground, not sure about WA.

You don't have to update the outlets to code in order to sell. The ground fault code requirement is newer and shouldn't apply. There are all kinds of crazy codes like percent of lighting that has to be low energy and outlet spacing in kitchens that old homes don't meet. You only need to meet code if you re-model or rebuild your home. If your agent told you it was necessary you might get a second opinion (before you jump into more projects).

You could have just ran a jumper wire from the neutral wire in the gfcI to where the ground wire would go. That would make a three prong tester show good and would actually ground the outlet since neutral and ground are on the same bar in your panel.