Do I have a multi function switch issue or is it the LED lights I've installed?

Jdmilo1

Hello again all. I just completed our first road trip in our new to us TJ.
It ran great and I’m pretty pleased with it.
When working on the jeep getting it road worthy and adding some accessories I decided to add some LED headlights, front,rear and fender LED turn signals and an LED turn signal flasher.
When I originally installed everything I’m almost positive everything was working correctly.

Tonight as it was getting dark I turned the headlights and noticed the right turn signal indicator on the dash was lit up.
I did a walk around and here’s what I’ve got going on.
The right fender light is out but I confirmed it’s good as I switched it to the left and it’s working.
With the lights off and the left turn signal activated the left front and rear turn signals are working correctly.

When the rights are activated all lights flash including the dash lights as if the hazards are on.
When the hazards are activated there’s just a buzzing from the column and nothing flashes.

When the lights are on and no turn signal activated all lights are on except the right fender and I have the right indicator on the dash lit up.

When I activate the left everything flashes.
When I activate the right nothing happens and I have the right dash indicator on.

Sorry for another novel, but do you all think I’ve got a multi function switch issue or is this these damn LED lights that I thought looked cool and installed?

Thanks again for any help.
John

No one knows what you bought

LED anything or everything requires the correct resistance to operate correctly with any flasher, even those that are LED specific. Not all LED flashers are gonna work as many have realized thru trial and error

You can use the OEM flasher if you just added inline load resistors to all lighting circuits , but most people want a simpler bandaid and as youve just learned….its not always that simple

Last edited:
Still have the original bulbs? Could reinstall them and find out.

What brands of LEDs did you install? What flasher?

Any corrosion on the sockets?

-Mac

Still have the original bulbs? Could reinstall them and find out.

What brands of LEDs did you install? What flasher?

Any corrosion on the sockets?

-Mac

I have most of the original bulbs. I’ll try swapping them and see what happens.
I also forgot to mention that with the lights on and no turn signals activated I get the beeping from the dash that I think is normally for if you leave the turn signals on for too long.
It stops beeping for a few minutes if you just activate the left or right turn signals.
It comes back though as long as you have the lights on.

Here’s the LED flasher I bought. It’s an EP27 from advance
IMG_1712.png

Just to give yourself peace of mind; inspect ALL front and rear parking light, turn signal socket terminals and verify the ground harness terminals on the near each headlight are clean and tight.
I have the same problem with the buzzing emergency flasher relay and have done an exhaustive search thru the system (previously posted) with no results. https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/buzzing-emergency-relay.77710/

As a test… I have ordered the above recommended relay to see if this resolves my problem.

If you have a 2001-2006 TJ then LM470, E26, and E27 are all the wrong LED flashers.
You need this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LC4DMS1?tag=wranglerorg-20

View attachment 534787

Works like a charm.

Rubiconned;

Thanks for the heads up on the Offroad flasher relay; which DID cure the Flasher Relay buzzing problem when the Emergency Flashers are ON.
I installed that relay since I exhausted ALL avenues of troubleshooting including the installation of (2) LM470 relays which did not cure my problem.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/buzzing-emergency-relay.77710/

Reactions: Rubiconned