Do I have to use full synthetic motor oil in my TJ?

AaronPaul

TJ Enthusiast
Ok guys and gals I have a 2000 Wrangler 4.0. Do I have to use a full syn motor oil or can I use a blend. I'll be using 10w30 and the TJ has 50k on the odometer. Thank you for your help

Oh boy, you will get 5000 different answers on this. Personally I use any high mileage 10w30 that is for sale, Valvoline, Mobil one, doesn't matter for me.

Many say full syn oil will promote leaking but I’m not sure if thats true. But I would only use a full syn oil if you live in a place where it gets really cold, other than that conventional or a blend is fine. The 4.0 engine isn’t really picky on oil

Last edited:
Oh boy, you will get 5000 different answers on this. Personally I use any high mileage 10w30 that is for sale, valve line, Mobil one, doesn't matter for me.

Many say full syn oil will promote leaking but I’m not sure if thats true. But I would only use a full syn oil if you live in a place where it gets really cold, other than that conventional or a blend is fine. The 4.0 engine isn’t really picky on oil
Awesome, thank you. It says to use a syn on it but its a 2000, I cant imagine that engine needs full syn. I just wanted to know that if I used conventional if it would be safe for the engine.

notthisshitagain.jpg

You don’t need to use synthetic at all, nor should you unless you have a special case (super cold winters for instance).

Just put regular old oil in it, these things aren’t picky.
While we are heading into summer... D.C. is in my hip pocket and still gets cold in winter.
Regardless, for as cheap as full synthetic is........🙄🙄🙄🙄

Reactions: AaronPaul
Synthetic blend...
LOL...
Not laughing at you but seriously...
In a day when you can buy an oil change jug of full synthetic for $20 ... or 3.49 per quart of full synthetic...

Come on!!!!!!

Get some full synthetic 10w30 (whatever the hell brand you want) and fuhgetaboutit
I appreciate the response. Just wasn't sure if Jeep calls for a full syn on a Jeep that is 21 yrs old

You don’t need to use synthetic at all, nor should you unless you have a special case (super cold winters for instance).

Just put regular old oil in it, these things aren’t picky.
Awesome man. I am going to change it every 3k anyway so I figured a 21 yr old Jeep doesn't need a full syn

Reactions: Chris
Awesome man. I am going to change it every 3k anyway so I figured a 21 yr old Jeep doesn't need a full syn
Definitely not, any off the shelf oil will work just fine.

While we are heading into summer... D.C. is in my hip pocket and still gets cold in winter.
Regardless, for as cheap as full synthetic is........🙄🙄🙄🙄

I haven’t priced it out in forever, has it come down in price a lot?

Reactions: HornedToad
Cosco has it for about $25 for 2 5 gallon jukes.

Don't forget that a synthetic oil can handle higher engine operating temperature should you happen to develop an engine over heating problem.

Reactions: AaronPaul
Definitely not, any off the shelf oil will work just fine.

I haven’t priced it out in forever, has it come down in price a lot?
Yes!
You can find a house brand synthetic for $$20-23 for 5 quart jug...
Sometimes find it for 3.49/3.79 a quart.

Hell mobil 1 can be had for 5.99 a quart or $34 for a 5qt jug with filter.

Valvoline makes napa's full synthetic...

Reactions: Chris
Ok guys and gals I have a 2000 Wrangler 4.0. Do I have to use a full syn motor oil or can I use a blend. I'll be using 10w30 and the TJ has 50k on the odometer. Thank you for your help
No. We lifted the ban in 2018 on conventional oil.

Just be sure that you fill out paperwork for approval for anything you do to the TJ So that we can present it to the board at each meeting. And get it in before June1, we are covered up with Covid 19 running everything out of control.

Last edited: