Do I need degreaser for rust repair?

I'm going to cover some minor frame rust spots in the spring with some Edgewood rust encapsulator. This might seem like a silly question, but do you really need to use a degreaser beforehand?
Frames get tons of road grime, oil, solvents and all manner of contaminants, especially in the pores if are rusty at all- I’d do it for the best adhesion.

You want good adhesion with no air bubbles or peeling of spots. Id use acetone, brake clean or something good like that to degrease the area. Im not familiar with that product buy Ive seen so many guys clean rusty areas to bright metal then apply a rust converter. problem is its needs rust to work or your wasting time and money.

Reactions: mattyice2
Absolutely! I covered some rust without cleaning and it didn't last. The more you prep....the better the results. I've had good luck with POR-15's Marine Clean degreaser and their Metal Prep. The metal prep will etch the surface and leave a zinc phosphate coating. Best prep possible for Eastwoods Rust encapsulator.

If this is going to be in a place that may see the sun, put a topcoat on it to keep it from getting brittle.

Reactions: AndyG and mattyice2